We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenbrier vs. Homestead

Which White Sulphur Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
reviews: 116
Greenbrier vs. Homestead

My husband and I are debating over which resort is a better place for us to stay for my birthday. We're looking forward to spa treatments and an overall romantic getaway. Room/bathroom cleanliness is very important to us. I've read both good and bad reviews for both places, but would like opinions from people. Any advice helps. Thanks.

West Virginia
1. Re: Greenbrier vs. Homestead

Have never been to The Homestead. Have been to the Greenbrier at least once a year for the last 16 years. LOVE it.

Important question - when is your birthday? This summer when at The Greenbrier, staff told us that they are closing from Jan - March 2007 for millions in renovations. Don't misunderstand - the place is already gorgeous, etc. Not really sure why they decided on the renovations but understand most of it is closing the Main Dining Room and opening 2 restaurants in its place.

Every inch of The Greenbrier that I have seen is spotless - have never ever seen a stained rug or anything like that. You certainly would not have to worry about the cleanliness factor. I would think the only thing people might write a bad review about is the price. A lot of the activities (falconry, bunker tour, bowling, etc) are at an additional cost. We have always found things impeccable, the food delicious, etc.

One of the things I love most about The Greenbrier is the atmosphere. It has a southern charm that just wraps around you and transports you to another time. I think you would find it VERY romantic.

Assume you have checked out The Greenbrier at http://www.greenbrier.com/. Will be glad to answer any questions you have that I may know about.

NOTE: The legendary Bunker - the formerly top-secret Government Relocation Facility under The Greenbrier's West Virginia Wing - will be featured in The New York Times in its Sunday, November 12th issue. The History Channel will air a piece on The Bunker on both Friday, December 8 at 1:00pm EST, and again Sunday, December 10 at 8:30am EST.

Virginia
reviews: 79
2. Re: Greenbrier vs. Homestead

I have been to both, but not in the last year. I enjoyed both places very much. The Greenbriar was a larger resort with a little more to do. But, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Homestead. Both places had excellent food. The rooms that I stayed in both places were very nice. I know that each room is different in size and layout and decoration. At the Homestead, we had a great large room with a view the first time. The second time, no view and the room was more standard. At the Greenbriar, we had a wonderful room and it was very large with a nice view. I think the rooms are varied there as well.

One thing I can say is that after I arrived at the Greenbriar, I got sick. I must have had a stomach bug. I felt lousy the day we arrived and that night I was sitting on the bathroom floor. I remember thinking thank God it was so clean. I called room service and they brought me tea and jello and toast. I felt better the next day and enjoyed my trip

If I had a choice, I think I would revisit the Greenbriar.

West Virginia
3. Re: Greenbrier vs. Homestead

A note about illness when at The Greenbrier:

The Greenbrier has an excellent clinic which people come from all over to go to for physicals, etc. -- it is primarily a wellness and diagnostic clinic. The principal program offered by the Greenbrier Clinic consists of a detailed diagnostic examination over a two-day period.

In addition, The Greenbrier Clinic now offers state-of-the-art cosmetic procedures through the addition of Laser & Aesthetic Services.

We have friends who had very early detection of cancer and other health issues because of intensive annual physicals at the clinic. Have not had one myself but would love to.

Got a fishing hook caught in my finger one time while fishing at The Greenbrier and went to the clinic. Received excellent care and service even for so minor an injury.

Info on The Greenbrier Clinic can be found at http://www.greenbrierclinic.com/default.aspx.

An article in Executive Health & Wellness can be found at

http://www.greenbrierclinic.com/theclinic.pdf

Indianapolis
reviews: 2
4. Re: Greenbrier vs. Homestead

Been to both. Very similair but The Greenbier has the edge. The nearby town of Lewisburg is wonderful and provides interesting shopping with art and antiques. Outstanding architecture and one of the few surviving Carnegie Halls.

Service at both is great. Get a cottage at The Greenbrier when you go.

Florida
5. Re: Greenbrier vs. Homestead

I just want to thank you guys for your information and the previous post for her question. I have spent all evening researching The Greenbriar and The Homestead as to where to take the family for Christmas. For fun, I googled The Greenbriar v. The Homestead. Imagine my happiness to have your blogs/postings come up! You settled my questions and we are going to The Greenbriar for Christmas! Thanks from Tampa, Florida!! Deborah

West Virginia
6. Re: Greenbrier vs. Homestead

Glad to be of help. Hope you have a great time. The Greenbrier is wonderful. Be sure to try the Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Drapers for lunch. If you are driving, pick up some salsa and other items at the gourmet shop (or they will ship it to your home).

Maryland
7. Re: Greenbrier vs. Homestead

Easy choice for the winter: The Homestead. It has its own snow ski/tubing mountain, in which a bus takes you back and forth. Great fun for everyone!

8. Re: Greenbrier vs. Homestead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 pm, September 18, 2009