We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

Which White Sulphur Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Kentucky
Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

were coming for a 2 night trip to Greenbrier but wondering what to do other than stay inside the hotel--probably can't afford to gamble and eat the whole time so any ideas would be appreciated--were coming from London Ky so any ideas on what to see or eat on the trip will be appreciated--thanks--its a celebration of 31 years marriage on 12-12-12!

8 replies to this topic
Indianapolis
reviews: 3
1. Re: Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

Congrats! Though I have not done it, Greenbrier regulars say take a half day and drive in to Lewisburg. Good restaurants and shops I'm told. You can search around Tripadvisor for specific recommendations.

We did the carriage ride last time and thought it was fine but expensive--though you do get a nice "History of the Greenbrier" coffee table book as part of it. I am not sure what outdoor activities are going now given it is December. The Greenbrier website posts their daily newsletter so check it out to see whats been going on.

You may have some down time considering you say you're not going to gamble/eat the whole time. My advice is walk around as much of the place as possible. There is so much history all over. If you like golf make your way over to the golf clubhouse where Snead's is. It could double as a muesuem of golf history. It hopefully won't be too cold to walk the grounds and see the landmarks, and head up to the art stores on top of the hill if there're open. Shopping is ok in the main resort but nothing too special. Enjoy!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 32
2. Re: Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

My advice was to head to Lewisburg too. Lots of very cool little shops, galleries, antiques, cloths, jewelry, ...everything! Lots of nice resturants too. Should be plenty to do at the hotel that you don't pay extra for. The pool for one. Plus...just walking around the huge place is nice to do, shops, and all kinds of rooms to explore. I think they still have Tea every afternoon too. If the weather is decent, walk around the grounds too. Oh...and there are caves in Lewisburg that are pretty amazing to go thru.

Lost World Caverns.

http://www.lostworldcaverns.com/

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
reviews: 30
3. Re: Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

Don't know if you are up for a little drive but 31 miles just off Rt. 219 is Beartown State Park. There are several miles of boardwalks that wind around, over and below the rocks....quite an interesting place. I've never been there in the winter...never mind....just found out the boardwalk is closed inwinter.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
reviews: 30
4. Re: Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

OK...Droop Mountain isn't as interesting but has a nice lookout tower. There is no entrance fee but it is about 35 miles. If you decide to make that trip...you can walk to Beartown as far as the boardwalks.....

www.droopmountainbattlefield.com/trails.html

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
5. Re: Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

Definitely head over to Lewisburg for shopping/ dining. Here's a website with more info on the shops and restaurants: http://www.downtownlewisburg.com/

There is an amazing restaurant there (with a goofy name) that you've just got to try. Check out these TripAdvisor reviews for "Food and Friends" tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g59251-d51…

There is the Carnegie Hall of WV with concerts, shows, art exhibits, etc. http://www.carnegiehallwv.com/

There is the North House Museum that covers the Revolutionary War era when Lewisburg was created. They are decorated for Christmas at this time: http://www.greenbrierhistorical.org/

Arts and Crafts at the Harmony Ridge Gallery: http://www.harmonyridgegallery.com/

Columbus, Georgia
6. Re: Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

I was given a choice, Greenbrier or Boston. I have read all comments posted about Greenbrier, location, what to do, table limits, dress codes, attractions closed etc. No question in my mind now, BEAN TOWN, hands down. I love Trip Advisor

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
7. Re: Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

To each their own, elainegstacy. Boston is a wonderful city and I hope you have a great visit there. If you're ever given the opportunity again to visit the Greenbrier, I hope that you take advantage of it. The Greenbrier Resort is truly a beautiful place, and the White Sulpher Springs/ Lewisburg area is a great place to visit with good food, quaint shops, friendly people, and breath-taking scenery.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
8. Re: Ideas while staying at Greenbrier

Not sure how you can compare the City of Boston...with the Greenbrier Resort. Sure there is more to do in a whole City, but the Greenbrier is a beautiful hotel with plenty to do in itself. (plus the town of Lewisburg, a few miles up the road)

Anyway....you can't compare a hotel to a city.

Reply to: Ideas while staying at Greenbrier
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted