We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak to Greenbrier

Which White Sulphur Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Amtrak to Greenbrier

I am thinking about taking the train (Amtrak) to The Greenbrier from DC and was wondering what that might be like. Is it clean, comfortable and is the food any good? Is it like taking Greyhound as far as other patrons or is the clientele decent?

Edited: 12:27 pm, February 22, 2011
7 replies to this topic
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
reviews: 30
1. Re: Amtrak to Greenbrier

I have ridden Amtrak several times...including DC to Pittsburg, but never DC to White Sulphur Springs. The food is expensive but decent, the clientele is a very mixed bag...from people who look homeless to crying children to people who talk so loud on their cell phones you can hear every word 5 or 6 rows away to people in nice suits. You might also encounter a school group. There is MUCH more room than on the Greyhound and you can get up and move around. The experience in the dining room is always interesting, as you must sit with other patrons unless you have a group of 4, but meeting different people, all kinds, is part of the fun. I really like traveling by AMTRAK, but then I find people rather fascinating.

Mississippi
reviews: 9
2. Re: Amtrak to Greenbrier

I would consider flying before I tooki a train to GB. Trains are fine and serve a good purpose. I have been there 3 times and drove each time. There's some beautiful places to visit in WV and VA. Visit Homestead at Hot Springs, VA if you get a chance. Good luck.

Vale, Oregon
3. Re: Amtrak to Greenbrier

I have made the round trip to DC and/or Baltimore leaving from Alderson or White Sulpher Springs many times and have loved each and every trip. The rates are very reasonable when made in advance, cheaper than Greyhound at any rate and very comfortable. Yes, there is a "mixed bag" of passengers but isn't that really a wonderful part of the travel experience. There is room to move around and plenty of opportunity to converse or relax and watch the beautiful scenery. Apparently, the Empire Builder dome car is available twice per year on the Cardinal Route. I was traveling one gorgeous fall weekend and had the unexpected privelege of enjoying nearly the entire trip riding in the dome car. It was a truly unforgettable trip. I have encouraged many family members and friends to visit our WV farm arriving, of course, by train!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
4. Re: Amtrak to Greenbrier

What a horrible stereotype of people who apparently not as well off as you. I find that I frequently enjoy the company of typical greyhound passengers over those on first class on an airline.

Charleston, West...
reviews: 50
5. Re: Amtrak to Greenbrier

The Lewisburg airport is larger than other airports in WV. Delta has a direct flight and the Greenbrier van will pick you up at the airport.

The amtrack station is across the street (at the Christmas shoppe) from the resort entrance and the Greenbrier van will pick you up.

Which ever you decide - please go and enjoy the experience its lovely there!

Ashland, Kentucky
6. Re: Amtrak to Greenbrier

Thinking of taking an Amtrak day trip to Greenbrier that includes lunch. Could anyone please describe the lunch and is there a dress code for this lunch. What do people do while ate the resort for several hours before boarding the train for the trip back home?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 34
7. Re: Amtrak to Greenbrier

I don't think Delta flies into Lewisburg anymore. It is Silver Airways. Still out of Dulles though. The airport isn't all that large. Yeager is much larger. Tri-state (Huntington) and Raleigh County (Beckley) are about the same as Lewisburg.

PaulH, there are a couple of resturants at the Greenbrier. The Main Dining room has a dress code...jackets for men, dress pants or skirts/dresses for women. The other resturants/cafes are not as strict. There is plenty to do in the afternoon. Shopping, (or window shopping), lots of nice (expensive) stores to brouse around in. You can wander all over the resort, peeking into various rooms and halls. If the weather is nice you can walk all over the grounds as well. Down to the golf club, or look in the tiny "doll" house. You could also take a tour of the famous Bunker if you have time.

http://www.greenbrier.com/

Reply to: Amtrak to Greenbrier
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted