We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oakhurst Links

Which White Sulphur Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jonestown...
Oakhurst Links

I understand that the first organized golf club in America is located here.

Golfers play with hickory shafted clubs and rubber balls and sheep graze the fairways.

It sounds like a great place.

Has anyone ever played here? How is the course?

charleston, wv
reviews: 3
1. Re: Oakhurst Links

http://www.oakhurstlinks.com/Index.cfm

Found that link. I read an article about the course a few years ago. I'm not a golfer but it sounds like it wouldn't matter on that course.

Only four clubs to carry. They give you instructions on how to use them. No bag or tees. Most golfers rent "period" costumes to wear during their round. Sheep grazing on the fairways.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
2. Re: Oakhurst Links

You know Pop, that doesn't sound like much fun to me. Especially when there are some fantastic "modern" golf courses near Lewisburg (Hawthorn Valley at Snowshoe/ Glade Springs/ The Greenbrier Sam Sneed Course).

It's bad enough to play through the geese on the course at Canaan Valley. I can't imagine having to pay to play amongst the sheep!

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
3. Re: Oakhurst Links

Here's an article about the course:

www.oakhurstlinks.com/Pic3.cfm…

North Carolina
4. Re: Oakhurst Links

Oakhurst is a wonderful place. I have actually played there four times with my husband who is a "real" golfer. It is nothing like a regular golf course. You make your own tees out of sand, carry four clubs (my husband only uses three), and walk. There are sheep (they stay out of the way for the most part)and of course the waste that accompanies grazing animals. Be sure if you go that you take bug spray. We usually go in August and gnats are everywhere. I would say late May or early June is a good time to visit. If you go, be sure to travel to Lewisburg (8 miles or so up I64) to eat and visit the local shops.

5. Re: Oakhurst Links

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 08, 2009