We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to make the best of Bridge Day with a child?

Which Summersville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rockville, MD
reviews: 40
How to make the best of Bridge Day with a child?

I have read some of the postings on Bridge day that are a few years old. We are planning to go this year with our 7 year old daughter for 2 nights. It is about a 5-6 hour drive for us. So, my question is, does one get to see enough and up close to make it worthwhile or is it that the crowds are so much that you don't really get a good look and feel for it? I was reading somewhere that between emergency vehicles blocking off half the bridgetand the platform there isn't much room for such large crowds. We would still enjoy the whole experience probably but if we don't get to see the jumpers and the colorful parachutes etc. then would feel like a waste of 6 hours drive to go all the way. As much details as possible about the best spots to see it from and ways to get there etc. would be helpful. We are staying at the Comfort Inn - about 6 miles away.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 30
1. Re: How to make the best of Bridge Day with a child?

First of all, take one of the shuttle buses that they use on Bridge Day. It will take you as close as possible to the bridge. The staff at your hotel will tell you where the shuttle pickup is..there will also be a LOT more information online the closer it gets to Bridge Day about shuttle pickup sites. My family always comes in from the south side (Fayetteville side) but I'm sure the north side is pretty much the same. There are many vendors that set up along the road leading to the bridge. (no vendors allowed on the bridge itself) These are fun to look at, lots of arts and crafts, food, music...all kinds of things to do before you even get to the bridge. I'm usually not an

"artsy-craftsy-buying" kind of person, but I've always found something pretty cool to buy on Bridge Day. Once you get onto the bridge, walk close to the side, when a space opens up (and it will) just lean over and watch the jumpers, then move on up closer to the middle, doing the same...walk close to the side looking for an open space. You will have to lift your daughter up and have her lean over the side for her to get a good look, but it is safe and people all around are doing this too. The closer you get to the middle of the bridge the more crowded it is. It is fun to stand where the jumping platform is and watch the jumpers get ready...and then poof, they are gone. You will see all the jumpers lined up, you can talk to them, get pictures of/with them...it's pretty neat. Wear good walking shoes..and check the weather a few days before you come. It could be nice, sunny and warm...or cold and rainy. I love going to Bridge Day! It's always fun!

Oh, and there is lots of other events and activities going on that weekend...they really make the most of it. Here is a good website.

http://www.officialbridgeday.com/events

Rockville, MD
reviews: 40
2. Re: How to make the best of Bridge Day with a child?

Thank you so much.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
3. Re: How to make the best of Bridge Day with a child?

It's this weekend!! Looks like decent weather too!! :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=bridge+day+wv&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3jN_UN__L5CA0AHD0YDgAw&sqi=2&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1441&bih=632

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
4. Re: How to make the best of Bridge Day with a child?

beachlady, do they still offer shuttle rides to the bottom of the canyon to watch the parachuters land?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
5. Re: How to make the best of Bridge Day with a child?

Not sure, but I don't think so. You can walk down (VERY long walk), but the only vehicles that I know of are buses for the jumpers to go back up...and ambulances. As far as I know.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
6. Re: How to make the best of Bridge Day with a child?

I stand corrected......yes, you can get a shuttle. $20.

officialbridgeday.com/into-the-gorge-shuttles

Edited: 9:52 am, October 19, 2012
Reply to: How to make the best of Bridge Day with a child?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted