We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rt 19 speedtraps

Which Summersville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 44
Rt 19 speedtraps

My wife and I are heading from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach in September, heading south on I 79 to I 77. Of course there is the "shortcut" on rt 19. I've heard about the "aggressive enforcement" in and around Summersville, like ticketing for 2 or 3 mph over the limit, no warnings, preying on out of state folks. I don't want to drive the extra 50 or so miles staying on 79, but I don't want to have to drive 19 and have to stare at the speedomoter the whole time. I do not speed, I drive maybe 5 mph over the limit at times, but I certainly don't want some local "Barney Fife" to add to their towns profits by nailing me for something the State Police would overlook. Any opinions from anyone who knows firsthand

getemback
21. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

Boycott EM!!!!! I recently got a ticket in Summersville. I was going 67mph. Of course the speed limit drops from 65 to 50 in that area. While what they are doing may not be Illegal it's immoral. If it was about satey there would be better signs to notify travelers of the speed change drop. I will avoid the area from now on. I urge others to do the same. If you can select a different route take it. If you do have to go through there do not spend a dime in that town for anything. No Wal-mart, no Starbucks, Motels, Gas Stations NOTHING! If the merchants feel the pinch perhaps those bloodsuckers will do the right thing.

Summersville
22. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

Yes Sir, I do know firsthand. I am a law enforcement officer in Nicholas County. I do not understand why people get mad when they are knowingly speeding and get a ticket. Why do they think they are better than anyone else? Do the speed limit or even close to it and you will not get a speeding ticket. If you folks that travel through our county on US Rt. 19 had any idea of how many people have been killed at the inter-sections in Summersville, then maybe you would be for writing more speeding tickets to those people who don't watch the speed limit signs, or at least don't obey them. I am not a Summersville police officer. I am a deputy sheriff. I have worked as a deputy sheriff for 19 years in this county. Some of the nicest people that you will ever meet live in this area, and as far as Barney Fife is concerned, think of that the next time you need help from a police officer. As far as I'm concerned you can stay in PA.

West Virginia
23. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

You go George.

WV
24. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

Summersville is not a speed trap! There are 13 Large speed limit signs including two pre- warning signs in both lanes. That's a total of twenty-six speed limit signs in a three and a half mile span. How much warning do you need??? The police do not hide behind bushes or large signs, they are in plain site. All but two or three of the cars are painted black and white. I have driven RT.19 daily for over twelve years and have never been stopped for speeding. Anytime I see a car weaving in and out of traffic or tail-gating it's almost always from Ontario, New York or Pa. As far as the boy-cotting goes, please feel free to do so or better yet, take another route. ENFORCE IT BOYS, WE SUPPORT YOU!!!

P.S. As for the CAA, kiss my grits.

VA
25. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

Our daughter (from PA) received a well deserved speeding ticket in September 2007 when coming to our home we have in S'ville for Labor Day weekend. We live in VA. She was speeding, and going FAST. The officer did her a favor, by reducing the ticket to a lesser charge. It still cost her big bucks, and her parents did not have to go to the local morgue and identify her! For which we are grateful, accidents on this stretch of road are nearly always deadly.

That officer did not have to give her a break, but he did! Nice guy! These officers are just doing their job. Bottom Line DO NOT SPEED!

26. Re: Rt 19 speedtraps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 12, 2009