We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge Day

Which Summersville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frederick, MD
reviews: 11
Bridge Day

I want to go to Bridge Day at the New River Gorge in October. Any advise on where to stay, without camping. Looks like Fayetteville is the closest town.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
1. Re: Bridge Day

Probably will be difficult to get anything in Fayetteville. The largest town with the most lodging options nearby is Beckley. Here are a few suggestions:

Hampton Inn Beckley - (304) 252-2121

www.hamptoninn.com

Country Inn & Suites - (304) 252-5100

www.countryinns.com

Comfort Inn Beckley - (304) 255-5291

www.comfortinn.com

Super 8 - (304) 253-0802

www.super8.com

Fairfield Inn-Beckley - (304) 252-8661

www.marriott.com

Howard Johnson-Express Inn - (304) 255-5900

www.hojo.com

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Beckley - (304) 252-2250

www.holidayinn.com

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 34
2. Re: Bridge Day

The bridge is IN Fayetteville, so yes almost impossible to

get a room there. Beckley is only 25 minutes away, easy drive.

Lots of options ......listed in the above post.

Be sure to check in on Friday, and plan to leave your hotel no later than 10 AM on Saturday. Bridge Day...is very popular...and can be very crowded.

Park your car at the Fayetteville High School, and catch the shuttle to the bridge. It will take you as far as vehicles can possibly get to the bridge.

Have fun!....see you there ;)

officialbridgeday.com/spectator-information

Edited: 12:43 pm, September 24, 2010
Frederick, MD
3. Re: Bridge Day

Thanks for the info, looks like a rocking good time, I can't wait!!

Maybe I'll check it out this year and jump next year.

Wu-wuuuuuuu!

Frederick, MD
4. Re: Bridge Day

Is Beckley better then Summerville?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
5. Re: Bridge Day

(well, thats a matter of opinion...LOL)

Beckley is larger so therefore will have a lot more options as far as hotels and resturants.

Edited: 8:36 am, September 28, 2010
Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
6. Re: Bridge Day

I can't imagine that there would be any hotels available in Summersville or Fayetteville. Bridge Day is a big deal, and I'd bet that the local hotels are booked a year in advance. You may even have trouble getting a room in Beckley. So, I'd recommend making your reservations as soon as possible. If you can get Summersville, great. If not, then try Beckley.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
7. Re: Bridge Day

So Rose306....did you go?? Where did you stay? What did you think??

I went with my son and daughter. Had an amazing time!! Weather was just perfect!! Big crowds...hundreds of jumpers...jumping over and over again.

It was a blast!!

Frederick, MD
8. Re: Bridge Day

Yes, we went!

OMG, the adrenaline was contagious.

We had a blast, I'm going to go every year from now on. We took the shuttle bus from K-Mart on Rt. 19 and got there right when they started letting people in. We got a spot right at the bridge railing at the platform where the base jumpers were launching.

I had no idea there was so much going on. We met up with some white water folks on Friday night, they open the dam gates on the Gauley River for 3 weeks in Oct. so it attracts kayakers world-wide.

There was rappelling and zip lining under the bridge, we met the guy that put all the cables up the day before for that. We walked down to the bottom of the bridge and caught the action from that angle- it's a 8mi round trip hike down and a 4 mile uphill going back, but well worth it.

We stayed at Beckley, which is a very sad little town, we drove around Friday evening looking for restaurants, other than chains or bars- nothing, dead. So, we ended up at Pies & Pints in Fayetteville and had a great time, it was a friendly crowd.. We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites, which was disappointing, the room was clean but the "breakfast" sucked and the coffee was about the worse I've ever had. I walked to Cracker Barrel next store and there coffee was superior, that's how bad it was.

BUT, overall, an awesome time!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
9. Re: Bridge Day

Glad you had a good time at the bridge...it WAS a blast!

But....wow ...Beckley...."A very sad little town!!?? Ouch!!!

Great Local resturants: The Char, Pasquale's Italian, Aagan Indian,

Foster's Bar and Grill., King Tuts Drive-In even...many others. (should have

asked me about that part!)

(Sorry about Country Inn and Suites.)

Frederick, MD
10. Re: Bridge Day

Sorry, I didn't mean to trash your town.

After spending the previous night in Lexington, VA and lunch in Lewisburg we were looking for a block with cute little shops and restaurants like those towns. We couldn't find it in Beckley. The streets were deserted and everything was closed at 7pm on Friday evening.