We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell service

Which Snowshoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ellenwood, Georgia
reviews: 8
cell service

I am a Verizon customer and have read several comments about the non existent cell service on the mountain. I have also heard there is some/very little/improved? AT&T cell service (stated on the Snowshoe website and available in certain buildings like the 5bar center). Help! We are business owners and need to be reached if necessary. I purchased an AT&T gophone just for the trip. Not sure what to expect?

4 replies to this topic
Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 5
1. Re: cell service

We have Verizon and have never been able to get service. Supposedly AT&T has some service on the mountain. We have a friend who has AT&T and he can get some service. Maybe someone else will have better info on AT&T service.

Waynesville,NC
reviews: 21
2. Re: cell service

Very litle cell phone service in that part of West Virginia. I believe it is part of the National Quiet Zone.

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
3. Re: cell service

Snowshoe is in the National Quiet Zone as part of the Radio Telescope at Green Bank. Suggest you look that up if you want more info.

Verizon won't work, and AT&T is not great. You are going to need to rely on WiFi hotspots and email. Starbucks is one.

Lynchburg, VA
reviews: 46
4. Re: cell service

Even with AT&T, the device is very spotty because of the observatory. I get better service at the base of Snowshoe than I do at the top of the mountain. Even then, it's unreliable. I would see if you can get the number where you are staying and have calls forwarded there.

Reply to: cell service
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted