We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options for Non-Skiiers

Which Snowshoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 33
Options for Non-Skiiers

My husband has a business meeting near Snowshoe in early March and we are thinking of going up early to spend two nights at Snowshoe Mountain. We will not be skiing. Are there any small inns, B&B's, resorts that would be enjoyable for non-skiiers? We love nature and the outdoors - hope to be able to enjoy restaurants nearby.

9 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 25
1. Re: Options for Non-Skiiers

I would just stay at Snowshoe in the Village. Allegheny Springs is the best, also look at Highland House, Rimfire, Seneca or Expedition Station. Lots to do...swimming, shopping, very good resturants there too. Sit in the village and people watch. Ride snowmobiles.

You could also look at vrbo.com for rentals in little towns close by like Marlinton, Elkins or Slatyfork. Lots of very nice options on there.

For a luxury, high-end stay, try the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, about 1.5 hours from Snowshoe.

Check the weather forecast about 3 or 4 days before you go...don't want to get stuck in a big snowstorm.

Atlanta, Georgia
2. Re: Options for Non-Skiiers

This is very helpful!! Thank you for responding!

Atlanta, Georgia
3. Re: Options for Non-Skiiers

This is very helpful!! Thank you for responding!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
4. Re: Options for Non-Skiiers

Where is his meeting "near" Snowshoe exactly?

Atlanta, Georgia
5. Re: Options for Non-Skiiers

Meeting is at the Pastoral Center in Huttonsville

Any Beach
Destination Expert
6. Re: Options for Non-Skiiers

Ahh....Bishop Hodges. Look at these B&B's. (I would still stay at Snowshoe though, more to do up there, but not as "quaint" as a B&B)

http://www.wvonline.com/shareourbeds/hutton/

helvetiawv.com/Businesses/…Beekeeper.html

http://www.morninggloryinn.com/

If you go past Lewisburg, WV (on I-64) stop and take a stroll down Washington St. there. Lots of very interesting shops, galleries, antiques...all kinds of cool stuff. Then maybe go to Lost World Caverns, just on the edge of town. Fascinating caves there. Takes about 45-60 minutes to walk thru. Amazing!

http://www.lostworldcaverns.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
7. Re: Options for Non-Skiiers

Really appreciate these suggestions!

huntington, wv
reviews: 65
8. Re: Options for Non-Skiiers

By far the best restaurant in the area is the elk river touring company, on 219 ertc.com they also have some rooms in the building, and 3 cabins to rent. they are very helpful in giving you good hikes, or cross country ski help, or fly fishing info if the snow is gone. there are plenty of houses to rent (both up on the mountain and at the base). The village (up on top) has some decent places, but you are paying ski resort prices. there is also the elk river lodge (about 15 minutes from the mountain). Pretty remote but great once you get there

Lynchburg, VA
reviews: 44
9. Re: Options for Non-Skiiers

For what you are describing, I would pick Elk River as a place to stay. From there you can access things up on the mountain, but will have a quieter experience. Plus, the restaurant there is one of our favorites. Understand that everything at the Snowshoe village is a condo...no B&Bs. Some of these are lovely, but it will be a different experience with a lot more people around. Incidentally, I would recommend returning to the area in the summer. The elevation helps keep things cool, and there is beautiful hiking/bike riding in that area.

Reply to: Options for Non-Skiiers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted