We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit to Snowshoe

Which Snowshoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
columbus, ohio
reviews: 4
First time visit to Snowshoe

Where to stay and how to prepare? We hope to stay over holidays as a Christmas gift to the family. Two adults and two older teens 18 and 19. We have a little skiing experience. Which lodge/resort would be best and what should we bring. where and how to buy lift tickets in advance and we will be renting equipment. We are driving from columbus...Any advise is most welcome!

3 replies to this topic
1. Re: First time visit to Snowshoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, October 31, 2013

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
2. Re: First time visit to Snowshoe

No, you don't need a tour organizer to go to Snowshoe! Hanaa, I think you are soliciting, which is against TripAdvisor rules!

Debbie, I would suggest staying in the Village at Snowshoe. There are shops and resturants plus a very nice pool, Split Rocks that you have access to as well. We have stayed in Allegheny Springs which has its own pool, plus valet parking which is very nice, as parking can be hard to find sometimes. Mountain Lodge is another good choice, might be a little cheaper and has its own parking lot. Also look at Highland House, Rimfire, Expedition Station or Seneca. These are all in the Village. There are numerous other condos that are an easy walk to the Village or a shuttle ride. Just get a room with a kitchen and bring some groceries of your own. The resturants are good (maybe a little pricy) but it's nice to have some things in your room as well. Breakfast, snacks, drinks, etc.

Just check out the Snowshoe website...lots of good info on there. Reserve early to get the best rooms. Holiday are very crowded there.

snowshoemtn.com/plan-your-trip/…6

You can also look thru the past posts on this forum. Might be some helpful info already mentioned. Good luck and have fun! It's beautiful at Snowshoe!

Washington DC...
reviews: 48
3. Re: First time visit to Snowshoe

I would ignore the prior post. 1) it makes no sense, 2) it is solicitation for another service which is not really allowed here.

First off, get this trip booked ASAP. Lodging at Snowshoe will book up over the Holidays FAST. You can book a place through the resort, or use one of the local Real Estate outlets. There are some that work out of Slatyfork and other local areas. Do some research online and you should find them. Also look at VRBO.

Tickets are sold online in advance at this link: snowshoemtn.com/tickets-and-passes/tickets-a… . If you book this early, compare all the options including if a Season Pass would be worth it depending on how many days you will be staying. (I could be way off on pricing for this year...haven't looked at it yet.)

As far as where to stay on the mountain, for beginner skiiers, I would stay as close to the Powderidge or Powder Monkey lifts as you can as most of the slopes in that area are the "Easy" stuff. We stayed in the Powder Monkey condos last time, and it was a great location, with just a short walk for ski-in/ski-out.

If your teens want to be right in the middle of the "action", then perhaps choose one of the housing areas around the "Village" such as Highland House, Rimfire, etc. I would avoid Top of the World, Soaring Eagle Lodge, Sawmill Village, etc. as they are over by more difficult slopes, not near the Village and I think you would find it to be a lot of effort to get to where you want to be and then back again. There is a resort map online that shows all the condo developments. Also, all of this is going to depend on your budget, and what kind of place you want to stay in. Some are new, some are older and are OK for a "ski bum", but one who likes finer things would not be happy.

As for what to bring, It can be COLD. VERY COLD. Snowshoe gets an amazing amount of snow-it is just in the bullseye of winter precipitation. They were already blowing snow last week. It could also be warm and sunny and it be a coats-off ski day.

Be warned, it is very remote. The closest big town with a substantial grocery store is probably an hour or more away. If you plan on eating in/preparing meals, I would bring things with you such as salt, pepper, condiments, etc., and then make a stop somewhere along the way to stock up on groceries. Research ahead of time where that could be depending on your driving route. There are small places locally, but expect to pay a PREMIUM.

As far as rentals, you can rent on the mountain. Contact the resort. There are also some places that will rent off-mountain which may be cheaper, but if you are only saving a few dollars on your rentals, I would stick with the resort rental, because if there are any issues, you can go right to them instead of getting in the car, going down the mountain, etc. It is a 20 to 30 minute drive down the mountain to limited civilization.

Reply to: First time visit to Snowshoe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted