We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family's first time at Snowshoe with young children

Which Snowshoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, VA
Family's first time at Snowshoe with young children

We are planning our first trip to Snowshoe around Christmas with 4 first time skiiers, ages 4, 7, 9, and 19. We're looking for advice on nice, convenient, and quiet lodging, family friendly restaurants, tips about good beginner slopes, etc. Thanks in advance for your help!

Macon, Georgia
11. Re: Family's first time at Snowshoe with young children

Snowball.... We are planning a trip to Snowshoe in February with an 8 and 10 year old. My wife and the kids are first timers and I am a novice. How was your trip and do you have any tips for us? Thanks!

Savannah Georgia
12. Re: Family's first time at Snowshoe with young children

Charlie,

I would put the kids and Mrs Charlie in a class. We stsrted going about 14 years ago and our children wer 6 & 9 . We put our 6 year old in class for the whole week the first two years, the 9 year old did not need to take lessons he took to it like a fish in water.Put it this way the instructors are paid for this and being a parent and instructor is asking for punishment the kids will have a wonderful time and be sking with you before you know it.

We are going Feb 1st for a week and it looks like we will have plenty of snow.Make sure you take them over to Silvercreek for tubing and silver creek is also a great place to stay more so for the family indoor/outdoor pool. Hope yall have fun.

Macon, Georgia
13. Re: Family's first time at Snowshoe with young children

Thanks 92sporty from Savannah! I appreciate the tips. What other activities are around the area that the kids may enjoy! Also...how do you compare Sugar or Ski Beech to Snowshoe for rookies like us? ...Charlie

Savannah,GA
14. Re: Family's first time at Snowshoe with young children

Charlie,

The first couple of times (over 22 years ago) we went to NC wolf laurel, beech, Sugar and applacian.

than we started going to snowshoe with a new group of family and friends beleive me it is worth the extra couple of hours drive you will never want to go back NC. As for other things to do they have a place called the Big Top that the kids would enjoy we have never been because oor kids are grown now

but I think they still offer a Kids night out at Silvercreek were they do different things at night like bond fires scavanger hunt ETC... years ago it was approx 25.00 but our daughter enjoyed it.

also at the village they have a place called split rock pool that is very nice.The mountain has a shuttle system and it is great we park our car for the week and use the shuttle all over the mountain

it runs approx every 15 mins until 2:00 in the morning.I would also reccomend to rent you skis at snowcreek it is at the entrance to Silvercreek they are great people and have better rates

virginia
reviews: 2
15. Re: Family's first time at Snowshoe with young children

Not Snowball here- but think about Silver Creek for usually less crowded and wider trails (Read past postings). The Village lodging is generally nicer,more convenient for a family (especially for first timers with little knowledge of the resort layout)and the ambiance of a real ski village. So if you do lodge in the Village, know that you can take an easy 10min shuttle to Silver Creek to ski if Snowshoe trails are too narrow or crowded. Lessons are avail at Snowshoe or Silver Creek.

Over Christmas,in our group of 10 we had 2 new skiers, ages 13 and 10, who after a 3 hr lesson at Snowshoe enjoyed Silver Creek skiing the most. Also had two novice snowboarders, ages 37 and 40, who also preferred Silvercreek as beginners.

16. Re: Family's first time at Snowshoe with young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 16, 2009