We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pipestem or somewhere else?

Which Pipestem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bergen, NY
reviews: 20
Pipestem or somewhere else?

Heading down to Bristol TN for the NASCAR races in August (from western NY) and driving down through West Virginia. We have a great camper so will be looking for nice campsites - we have stayed at Summerville in the past - it was nice but just looking to stay somewhere different with perhaps a few more activities. Stumbled upon information about Pipestem Resort and it looked interesting. Has anyone camped there? If you camp there can you use all the facilities?

SW VA
reviews: 15
1. Re: Pipestem or somewhere else?

It is beautiful, no doubt about it, but the trip to Pipestem is quite twisty and pulling a large camper would be a challenging on nerves and vehicle.

I'm not discouraging the option, but I thought it was worth mentioning... I grew up in WV (Greenbier County), I can remember trips over these mountains when there wasn't another route... I can remember several trips at night through heavy fog... not many left a fond memory.

I have many fond memories of Pipestem, including waiting for greens to clear at golf course. Oh, I guess I should mention that it was deer that were holding up play, not other golfers. A beautiful place indeed.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 34
2. Re: Pipestem or somewhere else?

Traveling to Pipestem from Interstate 77 is not that bad. A couple of curves and turns, but once you get to that main road right before Pipestem its not bad.

Pipestem is beautiful, lots to do. And yes, you can use the facilities if you are an on-site camper.

Even if you camp somewhere else close by, I believe you can still use their pool for a small fee.

SW VA
3. Re: Pipestem or somewhere else?

I knew I would get some kind of response... :)

I must admit that I am thinking mostly of the route on Route 60 coming from Greenbrier county... my memory is that the road does get much straighter after Pipestem going towards Charleston.

and, to some degree, I am just a hopeless Trip Advisor addict that has never browsed my "home" forums... I grew up in Lewisburg, WV and now live in SW Virginia. I still have lots of family and friends throughout WV, and, no matter that I live in Hokie Country now --- I'm a die-hard, win-or-lose, no-matter-what Mountaineer fan! (not to go off subject, but Mountaineer fans are REAL-- they never turn their backs on THEIR team--- for anything!)

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 34
4. Re: Pipestem or somewhere else?

LOL Work...thats ok. We still do have those winding curvy roads here....always will.

I am a West Virginian thru and thru...but a Herd Fan all the way!!!:))

SW VA
5. Re: Pipestem or somewhere else?

That's fine by me-- me too-- Go Thundering Herd Go! ...

I refuse to participate in In-State rivalry!! ...on a WV collegiate level anyway...

lol!

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
6. Re: Pipestem or somewhere else?

Posted a much-more detailed response to your question in your other post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28971-i892-k28633…

7. Re: Pipestem or somewhere else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 am, December 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Pipestem