We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pipestem State Park

Which Pipestem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
Pipestem State Park

We'll be staying in Pipestem State Park for a week in mid-May and would appreciate any suggestions on must-see's & must-do's. We'll probably limit hikes to under four miles... we're looking for spectacular scenery... caves, waterfalls, etc. to visit as a day trip, etc. Recommend a white-water rafting company? Any great but reasonably priced restaurants in the area?

West Virginia
reviews: 1
1. Re: Pipestem State Park

Here are some restaurant ideas:

I'm not real familiar with Pipestem but I always hear great things about it. Have you checked out their Trail map at http://www.pipestemresort.com/recreation.html

On the same page, check out Daily recreation and nature activities. One thing they have listed for this month is Road Bowling - never heard of it but it involves over a mile hike.

I'm not familiar with restaurants in the immediate area - hopefully others can help you.

Princeton:

Pipestem is 14 miles from Princeton and a few miles down the road is Bluefield. Both of these towns are

what I consider somewhat remote.

Really good restaurant in Princeton is Vincenza’s Italian Steak & Seafood

(no, you don't have to dress up). It's real Italian food not the cookie cutter food of chain restaurants.

(Oakvale Road, Princeton, WV 24740 (304) 425-0214). At the Princeton exit of I-77 you will find several motels, Applebee's, etc. Vincenza's is very close to the strip of hotels etc however it sits across Rt 460 and down a block or so on Ambrose Lane (where Ambrose and Oakvale intersect). It is practically just across Rt 460 from the strip, just ask for directions when there.

At the mall, there is a restaurant called Macado's (there is also one in Beckley). I always try to stop there to eat when in either area. They have great (and unusual) sandwiches - there is something like 65 sandwiches. Mercer Mall info is at http://www.shopmercermall.com/

For more info, goto

http://www.mccvb.com/ or http://www.pmccc.com/

Beckley:

In Beckley, check out

Tamarack – WV Art & Craft Showcase -- The Greenbrier Resort has an open air cafeteria style restaurant that is really good for lunch, etc.

West Virginia
2. Re: Pipestem State Park

In Beckley, check out the Exhibition Coal Mine. "Traveling 1500 feet beneath the hillsides of New River Park, visitors will then be carried along track in authentic "man cars" to actual old working areas of the coal mine. Stops throughout the tour explore the history of low-seam coal mining from the

hand-loading days into the era of modern mechanization. In addition to the underground activity, you can tour the historical coal camp situated throughout the grounds."

www.beckleymine.com/becm/coal_overview.cfm

Lewisburg/Greenbrier County:

www.greenbrierwv.com/home/index.asp?page=161

Caves near Lewisburg and The Greenbrier:

Lost World Caverns

Designated a National Natural Landmark, this site possesses large chambers and natural formations. Self-guided tours of the commercial cave and a Natural History Museum. Wild cave tours available.

Two miles north of Lewisburg on Fairview Road (N Court Street)

www.lostworldcaverns.com

Organ Cave

Second longest commercial cave on the East Coast and a National Natural and Historic Landmark, featuring Thomas Jefferson 's three-toed sloth, largest collection of Civil War hoppers in the U.S., extended caving tours and rodeos.

www.organcave.com

West Virginia
3. Re: Pipestem State Park

Bunker Tour - "Unlike other government relocation centers, built mainly to house military and executive branch officials who would manage a nuclear crisis and its aftermath, the Greenbrier facility was custom-designed to meet the needs of a Congress-in-hiding, complete with a chamber for the Senate, a chamber for the House and a massive hall for joint sessions." It's at The Greenbrier.

http://www.greenbrier.com/site/bunker.aspx

washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/…brier1.htm

If you get a chance, stroll around The Greenbrier for at least an hour or two. It's a charming old-world (expensive) resort but it is open to the public to look around, shop, etc. There are also neat shops on the hillside and a museum. http://www.greenbrier.com/site/

West Virginia
4. Re: Pipestem State Park

People come from all over the world to do white water rafting in the Fayetteville area (the Gauley and the New Rivers). I've not done it but others on here can help you out. Guides I have heard a lot of good about are: Ace Adventure Center, Class VI River Runners, Inc, Rivers Whitewater Rafting Resort. You may want to post a seperate post asking info about whitewater rafting. visitfayettevillewv.com/outdoorRecreation.htm and scroll down for links to the guides websites

Fayetteville has some pretty areas for stopping along the road to go swimming, hiking, etc but I can't begin to direct you to them.

http://www.visitfayettevillewv.com/

New River Gorge info: http://www.nps.gov/neri and www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/index.htm

Here are a couple websites on Waterfalls in WV:

www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.asp…

waterfalls-guide.com/wv_waterfalls-guide.htm

You won't be close to Blackwater Falls (or Davis WV)

Whew, hope I have not confused you even more.

Spectacular scenery - I find a lot in WV hope -- you are not disappointed. Our mountains aren't anywhere as big as the Rockies or those in Vermont but we sure do have a lot of pretty and fun nature things to do and see.

Nebraska
5. Re: Pipestem State Park

Thanks for all your input... much appreciated!

Columbia, South...
reviews: 70
6. Re: Pipestem State Park

I went camping at Pipestem a few years back. Lovely park, but I don't remember specifics about trails. (They all run together after awhile.)

I second the suggestions for the Beckley Coal Mine and the Greenbrier. The coal mine's been closed for renovations for awhile, and will reopen by the time you go, and I'm looking forward to hearing about the improvements!

Try white-water rafting! It is soooo much fun. I like to raft with Class VI... their riverside buffet lunches are very good!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 34
7. Re: Pipestem State Park

Also, head into Hinton...about 20 minutes away. Neat little town....stop and have lunch at Kirks on the river. Great, simple, cheap food. Then go over to Bellepoint Park right beside the dam. Nice area. You can walk down to the river, throw rocks, feed the ducks. They used to have tours of the dam..not sure if they still do that.

From Hinton you can go on to Lewisburg and the caves there and walk thru the Greenbrier. Thats a MUST!

Oh and at Pipestem be sure to go to the firetower!! Breathtaking views from up there!! Thats a little hike itself. haha

Charleston, WV
8. Re: Pipestem State Park

We liked the Oak Supper Club, just a short distance from the Pipestem park entrance. We haven't been there in about 3 years, someone may have more current information about the restaurant.

Niagara Falls...
reviews: 26
9. Re: Pipestem State Park

We've stayed twice at Pipestem. We very much like the restaurant in the lodge itself, and also Brandon's, which is almost within walking distance--just down Hwy #20, perhaps 1/2 mile from the park entrance. We didn't try the creekside restaurant at the lodge which requires a tram ride--the menu seemed quite pricey, but perhaps we'll try it another time.

Huntington, West...
reviews: 31
10. Re: Pipestem State Park

Do they serve alcohol at the restaurant at the Mountain Creek Lodge?

Get answers to your questions about Pipestem