We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer 2006 Vacation in WV Questions

Bridgeport...
reviews: 4
Summer 2006 Vacation in WV Questions

We'll be staying at a Carnifex Ferry Cottage (anyone familiar, there are no reviews)for a week in June, 2006. So far, on our list of things to do:

1)Music in the Mountains Bluegrass Fesitval

2)Cliffside Amphitheatre performance

Would you recommend Hatfields & McCoys or Honey in the Rock?

Also, how far of a drive from Beckley to Mt Nebo since the performance will be over late?

3)Scenic drive to White Sulpher Springs

Looking or interesting "off the beaten path" things along the way.

4)Hiking--any local favorites?

5)Rafting--looking for a good "duckie" outfitter

6)Avid photographer--local favorite spots?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

charleston, wv
reviews: 3
1. Re: Summer 2006 Vacation in WV Questions

Not sure which show is better. Haven't seen either one even though it's been on our list of things to do for last couple of years. Both get good reviews and are semi educational along with the entertainment value.

Not sure how the show schedule runs. Think they might run a show for a week and then the other. You might just have to settle for the show scheduled the night you're planning on being there.

Park is maybe hour drive from Mt. Nebo. Not familiar with area and being late at night your best bet would be staying on I-64 and Rt 19. Would be four lane from park to Mt Nebo.

Rafting. My favorite is Rivers. LOL. Only one I have ever dealt with. Very rustic but fun outfitter. Offers several activities such as rafting, "duckies", biking, and horseback riding.

Located in Fayetteville. Half way between Mt Nebo and Beckley. Maybe a mile off of Rt 19. Easy access. Easy to find.

One of your trips through Fayetteville you have to hit Dirty Ernies Rib Pit. At south end of New River Bridge on north bound side of highway. Best ribs in state. We drive from Charleston couple times a year for those ribs. Tip: Order chicken and rib comb. Get like twice as much meat for maybe a dollar more. Dang.....Now I'm hungry....

For your scenic drive I'd go north to Summersville.( watch your speed) Rt 39 over through Richwood and towards Marlinton. Goes through National Forest.

Look for Cranberry Glades. Nice little quick hike on a boardwalk through nature preserve. Couple other hiking trails in the forest take you down to water falls and such. Just watch for signs as you travel Rt 39.

Rt 150 is a scenic highway off of Rt 39. Runs along the ridges giving you several nice overlooks. Interesting history. One section of mountain was completly burned off maybe a century ago in a forest fire. No vegetation meant soil wash off. Down to the bare rock. Through the years it has slowly grown back. Gives ya new respect for Mother Nature.

Two other quick stops would be the north end of New River Bridge. Small park and museum telling the story of how the bridge was built. Every Fall they close north bound side of bridge for Bridge Day. Like a big fair right on the bridge. Base jumpers and other crazys jump off the bridge all day.

Other stop would be Hawks Nest scenic overlook. At Hawks Nest Lodge they have a tramway that carries you to bottom of the gorge.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 29
2. Re: Summer 2006 Vacation in WV Questions

Just to add something about Cliffside. "Honey" and "Hatfields"

run on different nights, not one week on, then the other week. Also this year they have "Beauty and the Beast" there also. Check for brochures at resturants and travel plazas. And check this website: www.theatrewestvirginia.com

for the schedule.

Maybe go to the park early and take a picnic dinner and then do a little hiking. They have a coupld of caves/tunnels that are very cool to go thru.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 29
3. Re: Summer 2006 Vacation in WV Questions

Forgot to add that I prefer Honey in the Rock. But they are both very good. Lots of gun fire in both,(especially Hatfields) so if you have young kids, prepare.

Get answers to your questions about Mount Nebo