We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

Which Lewisburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barnesville, Georgia
reviews: 18
Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

We would like to ride the whole Greenbrier River Trail; however, my wife can't do over 30 or so miles a day without a problem. We would start in Cass and probably stay in Marlinton 1st night.

The issue comes with finding something about halfway between Marlinton and Caldwell/Lewisburg at end. Watoga SP and Seeburt are too close to Marlinton, so too far from end. Falling Springs (Renick) area would be ideal and I saw one map that indicated lodging.

We are not up for camping, would rather travel light and stay motels or B&B.

If anyone knows good place about mileposts 20-35 that would not require too much of a ride off the trail (Hillsboro B&B is 6 miles off trail and my wife gets nervous on roads plus I don't know if she can take the climbing after a day's ride) I would appreciate any info.

We have been to the area several times are really love all the things to do outdoors. We may just end up doing a couple of day trips and have already contacted on of the shuttles about lodging, but thought I would post here too.

Thanks for any info.

I may also post this in Marlinton, Lewisburg, Caldwell and Renick or Falling Springs forums (if there is one). Hope that does not cause a problem. If that is improper etiquette I apologize up front.

West Virginia
reviews: 1
1. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

Sorry I can't help about the lodging. Hope someone can. Please give us a trip report after your journey.

No problem with posting in other forums but no need to here - we all just look under WV and not particular towns.

West Virginia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

May be a long shot but hop over to the thread "Trying to help someone out" and send an email to the poster. He is from Lewisburg and may be able to give you the name of someone in the know.

Barnesville, Georgia
3. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

Thanks and I will post a trip report after we get back. Looks like we are going last week of August now, usually go in Sept but have to work about job responsibilities.

Bruceton Mills...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

Here's a link to our two trip reports from rides on the Greenbrier.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/w_va_places.htm

You can see both trips in the top menu. The first year we were rained on.

We carried tents and camping gear. Look for a B&B in Renick, WV. Not certain but I think there's one there. That's about the right distance for your wife.

Leave time to wander around Cass if you can. Its a neat place even if you don't have time to ride the train.

Hillsboro, WV
5. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

Hi Scott,

The only place I can think of near Hillsboro is Mountain Waters Chapel. Although, it may not be in the location you want.

http://www.currentbnb.com/

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
reviews: 30
6. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

Is there any chance some of the hotels might provide a shuttle? (Marlinton or the B&B that was 6 m. off the trail???) You could ask, might work!

Barnesville, Georgia
7. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

Thanks. The shuttle idea might work out. We actually ended up staying in Lewisburg last year and riding a section of the trail that goes from a small town (cannot remember the name right now) up to the Droop Mountain Tunnel. I am sure one of my trip reports on our very enjoyable trip to West Virginia has the name.

One of these days maybe we will do an overnight rail trail trip and we really love the GRT, so we will keep looking.

I also appreciate the link in earlier post and I will be sure to check that place out too.

Thanks

Barnesville, Georgia
8. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

Thanks very much for your link. It looks like this onke might work if we could do a longer ride the last day. I will need to check out mileages but really appreciate the link.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
reviews: 30
9. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

If you ever decide to try something different, check out the North Bend Rail Trail. It is known for it's tunnels and bridges. It is also a part of the America Discovery Trail which runs from Cape Henlopen in Delaware to Point Reyes Seashore in California.

http://www.northbendrailtrail.org/

We live near the middle of the 70+ mile trail, about 1 mile off. We have tentative plans to hike it this year beginning in April as a series of weekend hikes since we have only been on the local portions of it.

We'd be glad to help out in any way we could!

Barnesville, Georgia
10. Re: Greenbrier River Trail-Lodging South of Marlinton

Thanks for post about North Bend Rail Trail. We will definitely follow up.

Get answers to your questions about Lewisburg