We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Lewisburg

Which Lewisburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 32
First time in Lewisburg

We are planning to visit Lewisburg in a couple of weeks on a driving trip heading towards Charleston, SC.

We like to stay at quaint inns or B&Bs and like fine dining as well as local charm.

Any recommendations as to places to stay and eat. We may only have one day unfortunately.

I have looked at the General Lewis Inn, the Church Street B&B and the Lee Street Inn.

Thanks

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 34
1. Re: First time in Lewisburg

I have stayed at General Lewis Inn....Wonderful place!!! Highly recommend it! Great food too.

Food and Friends is a great resturant too.

Lots of neat shops all with walking distance of G.L. Inn...bakeries, galleries, dress shops.

West Virginia
reviews: 1
2. Re: First time in Lewisburg

You can't go to Lewisburg without going to see The Greenbrier!!! It's just a few miles from Lewisburg. For lunch, eat at Drapers at The Greenbrier. I make trips there just to eat the fried green tomato sandwich. There are also neat shops in the Greenbrier and on the hill on the grounds. http://www.greenbrier.com/site/

In Lewisburg, go to the Cooper Art Gallery and take a look at the painting by WV native Lynn Boggess. A 5-inch cement trowel is his brush. His paintings are unique and awesome.

Julian's and Food & Friends are my fav restaurants in Lewisburg.

Julian’s Restaurant

Address: 102 S Lafayette St. | Lewisburg, WV

Hours: Wed-Sun 5-10; Closed Feb 16-April 6

Local: 304-645-4145

Reservations suggested.

It is in an old house on a side street just right off the main road and near Coopers Gallery. Don't let the looks of the house fool you - it only fits a few but the food is very good.

Greenbrier county: http://greenbrierwv.com/

Canada
3. Re: First time in Lewisburg

Thank you for both answers.

With respect to the Greenbrier, we will probably drop by to see it as I know it is famous and we will not be far, but we personally do not like to stay in huge hotel complexes, no matter how famous they are.

In Lewisburg, we will stay at the General Lewis Inn. I read about the good restaurants in town including the one at the Inn, Julian's and Food and Friends. They all sound good.

Any suggestions as we only have time to eat one supper and one breakfast in town. I don't know if Food and Friends or Julian's serves breakfast, so should we stay at the General Lewis for that or are there any quaint breakfast places in town? If I have to choose one of the three above-mentioned restaurants for dinner what is your suggestion? It is a hard choice I gather.

Thanks

West Virginia
4. Re: First time in Lewisburg

You can't go wrong with any of these 3. Check out their menus & websites. Maybe that will help.

Julian's: Selected as the “Finest restaurant in WV” by the Huntington Gourmet Society

Julian's - Upscale food, setting in an old house, very limited seating.

No website??

Tavern 1785 restaurant

Tavern 1785 is upscale - nice ambience.

Check out their menu at http://www.tavern1785.com/

"Contemporary American cuisine served in a restored log building circa 1785. Fine dining in a casual setting. A large selection of domestic and imported wines. Outdoor dining."

Food & Friends - Relaxed setting. Good food & menu, not sure if I would not consider it as upscale as the others.

Serving American cuisine in downtown Lewisburg. Specializing in steaks and seafood.

Recently featured on The Food Network.

Check their menu at http://foodandfriendswv.com/

Canada
5. Re: First time in Lewisburg

Thank you for your suggestions.

I looked at the menus and found some other reviews and you are right, they all look good. It is too bad that Julian's does not have a web site.

That was going to be my choice; however, I noticed on the Greenbrier County web site that the restaurant is only opened from Wednesday to Sunday. I don't know if that is still the case as we will be there on a Tuesday.

But I'm sure we'll not starve.

cheers

wv
reviews: 2
6. Re: First time in Lewisburg

Hi there. I live in Lburg. You can't go wrong with Food & Friends, and the only drawback of Julian's is of course the Wednesday-Sunday hours.

I'd also look into stardust cafe. It's quite nice and also within walking distance of The General Lewis Inn.

You should definitely do breakfast at the Inn as well. It's very quaint and offers the best breakfast in town.

Morgantown, WV
reviews: 5
7. Re: First time in Lewisburg

General Lewis is very nice. Their breakfast can't be beat and huge portions! Fresh squeezed OJ-- yum!

For fine dining, definitely check out Tavern 1785. My husband and I just visited last month. Their fresh caught trout is delicious and if you haven't tried goat before and like spicy food, its a must. All resturants and shopping in walking distance of the B&B.

Be sure to take time to browse through the local shops for antiques and local art. And see what's playing in town for a nice evening out.

Lewisburg, West...
reviews: 11
8. Re: First time in Lewisburg

We like the Stardust Cafe. The food is great. Tavern 1785 has ambiance. Food and Friends has good food but less atmosphere. Julians is certainly an experience if you happen to encounter Stephen, the owner/cheff. General Lewis has atmosphere and good food, but overnight accomodations are not so great. We like casual, friendly, unpretentious places with great food. Thus, Stardust is our favorite!

san francisco
reviews: 10
9. Re: First time in Lewisburg

DO NOT STAY AT THE LEE ST INN-- the place is in disrepair, and the manager is legitimately off his rocker.

West Virginia
10. Re: First time in Lewisburg

Ascreen, Thanks for the heads up.