We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canaan Valley - shorts hikes to take

Which Davis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MEADVILLE
reviews: 30
Canaan Valley - shorts hikes to take

We'll be down in Canaan Valley soon and wonder about good (less than 2 miles) hikes to take with our kids to see great views. What are your favorites and how do we get there from the Canaan Valley State Park?

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
1. Re: Canaan Valley - shorts hikes to take

Plenty of trails around the resort... in fact, some of the best are around the resort. Just check at the front desk for a map.

Our favorite is out by the golf course and takes you to the banks of the Blackwater. Level ground, well marked trails, lots of deer, and a really relaxing walk.

For "views," you'll want to drive up to Davis to Blackwater Falls state park. Several walking trails there that take you to overlooks of the waterfall and the canyon.

West Virginia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Canaan Valley - shorts hikes to take

Not sure how soon you are going but keep in mind that fall leaves are starting on the downswing.

The best views will be from Dolly Sods.

It has some very short trails to great views in addition to long trails and overnight hiking trails.

For info on the trails:

fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/sp/dolly_sods_wilderness.htm

Our favorite in the summer are the trails on Dolly Sods. But it's getting to the time of year where it's not ideal - don't think we've ever hiked it this late in the year.

Easier to get to with good views is, as WVParkfan recommended, Blackwater Falls.

Blackwater Falls website offers a download for hiking trails:

http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/recreation.htm

or

www.blackwaterfalls.com/blackwaterparkmap.pdf

Also agree with Parkfan - Canaan Valley Resort has several hiking trails - the front desk will be able to help you.

I'd suggest taking a guided tour if Canaan or Blackwater is offering them. You'd be amazed at what you miss, etc. when out hikiing by yourself.

Stop by the Wildlife Refuge for maps and info also. http://www.fws.gov/canaanvalley/

Here is some info and trail maps:

www.fws.gov/canaanvalley/CVNWR-trails.htm

The "feed store" on the corner right beside Sirianni's Pizza also has trail maps (or at least they used to).

West Virginia
3. Re: Canaan Valley - shorts hikes to take

Canaan Valley State Park offers Geocaching - that may be a fun thing for the kids.

Take the kids to get a close up view of the windmills (the "new" kind).

Go through Davis, then through Thomas, just past Thomas you will make a left onto the bridge heading toward Parsons (I think it's Rt. 219).

Go about 5 miles or so, and you will turn right onto (you better ask at the resort, I think it's Sugarland road but I could be wrong and you'd end up in Timbuktu).

Anyhow, as soon as you turn onto that road, there is a parking area to the right where you can park, get out and walk under the windmills, etc.

(As much as I hate seeing those things pop up all over the ridgetops of WV, since they are there - they are a novelty to see.)

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
reviews: 30
4. Re: Canaan Valley - shorts hikes to take

How old are your kids?

Definitely take the drive up to Blackwater Falls and do the hike down to the falls. While you are there I would recommend going out to Pendleton Point overlook, and then Lindy Point. I think Lindy is aoubt 1/2 m one way, mostly level, and the view is great when you arrive!

Here is a link for Lindy:

trailpixie.net/canaan_valley/canaan_mountain…

Here's one from PP:

…tripod.com/midatlantichikesphotos/id12.html

Scroll down through the pix and you will see one of the windmills mentioned. I think your kids would enjoy seeing them too! I don't find them as much an eyesore as some people. I hate cell phone towers the most!!!!!

The kids should be able to get up close to the deer at Canaan. They're very people adjusted.

Across the road from the park at Canaan is the ski lift, turned scenic chair lift in summer/fall. The views can be fantastic. Also at the top, you can take a hiking trail to the left that has some great views if you go out to the rocky overlook....don't remember how far or the exact directions.

West Virginia
5. Re: Canaan Valley - shorts hikes to take

There is a skiff of snow on the ground at Canaan this PM.

Calling for snow showers this weekend.

6. Re: Canaan Valley - shorts hikes to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 13, 2010