We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WV where to go to

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
reviews: 1
WV where to go to

WV state is one of the state on my list to go to, but I don't really find a city/town that makes me want to go there. But I like to keep my mind open, so I am asking here to see if you guys have any ideas of where or what to do there? Are there any main cities close by to drive to or tourist beach, etc. even if there's another state/city close to it? I can rent a car no problem for a trip.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
charleston, wv
reviews: 3
1. Re: WV where to go to

No single town or city would be worth a trip to WV just to say you've been there. Sure there are several little clusters of dining and drinking establishments but again. Nothing like New Orleans or Vegas.

WV is more of a rustic/back to nature destination. What makes it nice is where ever you live in WV it's only a short drive to a forest, lake or river. Kind of a poor man's Alaska.

Might consider flying into Charleston's Yeager Airport and renting a car for a few days drive through the state. East to Fayettville for long list of outdoor adventures from white water rafting to zip-lines.

Another hour north east would put you into Monongahela Forest. The scenic Highway and Cranberry Glades would give you sights not seen in La.

If you have the time you could try Canaan Valley, Dolly Sods, Black Water Falls, Seneca Rocks, etc....

If you want high dollar. The Greenbrier might be something to consider. Might be worth the trip and money to say you stayed there for a night.

Flying into DC or Pittsburgh wouldn't be out of the question. Probably cheaper.

reviews: 21
2. Re: WV where to go to

Would you suggest great outdoor activities/great scenery for roadtrip to Washington DC along route 79?

Summersville, West...
reviews: 20
3. Re: WV where to go to

I would like to hop in here, and I agree with pop2748. Check out what I wrote regarding White Water Rafting with West Virginia Adventures. It was under WV Campground Near Beckley/Fayetteville Area. If you have never done this, Rob can create a fantastic trip for any skill of rafter from a mild trip to a wild adventure. He is out to make your experience a memorable one. Google West Virginia Adventures and watch his video.

Also, nearby is Summersville Lake with rentals for jet skis and pontoon boats has the clearest water in the east.

Both of these spots is just off a four lane highway, Rt. 19, with plenty of places to eat. You could fly into the Charleston Airport, rent a car, and drive to either one. From spring through fall, WV is breath taking! If you like snow skiing, it has much to offer in the winter.

We have traveled the world over, and West Virginia is one of the most beautiful spots in the world hands down.

Reply to: WV where to go to
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted