We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston Riverboats / Walking Downtown???/

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Statesville, NC
reviews: 9
Charleston Riverboats / Walking Downtown???/

Folks we will have 2 nights in Charleston, looking for a quick way to get a feel for this lovely spot. I thought I saw something about tree lined downtown area (writer compared to Savannah).

And we were wondering if there are any riverboats running, can't seem to find anything online for either of my questions.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kathy

6 replies to this topic
charleston, wv
reviews: 3
1. Re: Charleston Riverboats / Walking Downtown???/

What two nights and where will you be staying?

Capital Street and surrounding area is the old "pre-mall "years shopping district. Mostly offices now. A few shops still there. Several coffee shop/bistro style places on Capital and surrounding streets. Far end of Capital Street is old rail road freight area that's been converted to farmers market and a couple restaurants.

Daytime walk in the area shouldn't be a problem. Some clubs on Capital Street have become trouble spots at night the last year or two.

At the river end of Capital is the Levee. Amphitheater area on river bank. Every Friday night during summer is Live At The Levee. Free live music. Different style each week.

Not sure what week but one week during summer city has Fest-I-val (sp?). Number of activities through the week and places scattered around town. Music, art, wine and cheese.......

Weekend of June 20th is WV birthday. 150 years this summer. Big plans for this years celebration at the Capitol complex. Also a festival called Vandalia Gathering. Mountain music and liars contests, etc.....This year's schedule has been cut back a little . Not sure of the dates but instead of two similar festivals being scheduled close together they have a lot of Vandalia events tied to WV birthday festivities.

Might research schedules for Clay Center to see if anything in town at time of your trip. Cultural Center at Capitol has State Museum. (I think it's still there) Used to be nationally broadcast show called Mountain Stage. Might see if they're up and running the dates you're here.

No river boats that I know of. Have had them here in the past running regular scheduled trips along the river. They have them on occasion for the festivals but don't know of any commercially operated ones in the area now.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
2. Re: Charleston Riverboats / Walking Downtown???/

Any chance the original poster meant Charleston, South Carolina? Charleston, West Virginia is beautiful, but I've never heard it compared to Savannah, GA!

charleston, wv
3. Re: Charleston Riverboats / Walking Downtown???/

Hmmmmmm......Didn't catch that.......You might be right....

Statesville, NC
4. Re: Charleston Riverboats / Walking Downtown???/

Nope, I meant Charleston WV.

Statesville, NC
5. Re: Charleston Riverboats / Walking Downtown???/

POP2748 - thank you, your information is very helpful. We will do some exploring while there.

charleston, wv
6. Re: Charleston Riverboats / Walking Downtown???/

www.vandaliagrille.com/ordereze/default.aspx

http://capitolmarket.net/

whycharlestonwv.com/category/…

Reply to: Charleston Riverboats / Walking Downtown???/
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted