We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 2
Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

We will be traveling to wv to ride the trail hatfield mccoy tail system soon. Thinking about the little coal river trail, any suggestions for lodging? Thanks for the help.

9 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 30
1. Re: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

Not familiar with the trails, but here is a link.

http://www.trailsheaven.com/

You can click on "plan your trip" and then "choose

your lodging"

charleston, wv
reviews: 3
2. Re: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

Think the Coal River Trail head is right off of Rt 119 maybe 15 miles south of Charelston.. Camp grounds right across the highway from H/M office. Less than quarter mile away are some cabins. Very rustic. Not positive but think they're little more than wood utility buildings with bunks. .Need your own foam or air mattresses and sleeping bags. This time of year a heater of some kind might be nice.

Might find better lodging near other trailheads. Coal River would probably the easiest to get to.

If you really don't want to "rough it". Coal River trailhead is only 20 minutes from Charleston. Right off of RT 119 south of Charleston is shopping area known as Southridge. Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn there with wide varity of dining, game center, sports bars and movie theater. Hampton Inn used to have package deal with room, movie pass and dining coupon at one of the area restuarants..

Pittsburgh...
3. Re: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

Thanks for the help. I am located near the Pittsburgh area and will be traveling and riding with 9 people in our group. We have one senior and two children age 9 and 15 we rode the Buffalo mtn trail last year. Enjoyed the riding but a few of our riders were a little intimidated with the trail (too hard, scary). Any suggestions other trails that we might try, preferably a little closer to Pittsburgh. also any accommodation suggestions?

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
4. Re: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

Not much in the northern part of West Virginia that isn't private. Ohiopyle State Park in PA offers ATV Trail Rides: ohiopylevacationrentals.com/discover-ohiopyl…

There is also the Deep Creek Lake, Maryland area with designated trails: http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/orv.asp

Both Ohiopyle and Deep Creek could be day trips from Pittsburgh.

ohio
reviews: 53
5. Re: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

Dear Box Car family,

Just want to give the heads up on the Hatfield & McCoy trails. My husband, son and I went on a little get away there last Aug. to ride. It changed my life forever. Just be very careful if you go and especially with children. I have been riding for years but found this trail "Rockhouse" to be quite dangerous. I went off a 30 ft. cliff fracturing 2 vertebrae, breaking my ribs in 10 places, torn rotator cuff and frozen shoulder. I count my blessings just to be able to walk. I don't know if I will ever get on a 4 wheeler again, sad because I use to love riding. I am in pain everyday and it's been well over a year. Have come to terms with this, but wish to let others know the danger of the Hatfield and McCoy trails. I am lucky because I was not going fast, just got a little too close to the edge of the very narrow trails. Just passing on the info hoping to help even just one person.

Ohiopyle...
6. Re: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

There is absolutely no ATV riding in Ohiopyle State Park. In fact ATV riding in PA state parks is not legal. There are a few designated ATV trails in PA state forests.. Look for the Rothrock State Forest, in the south center part of PA.

michigan
reviews: 23
7. Re: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

We stayed one night at Coal River Inn. One star. Musty, older property. Basic, dated, deodorized rooms. No amenities. Tube tv. Internet worked fine in our room, which was closer to the road. Ample trailer parking. Staff was very nice. BR clean. Keep your socks on.

Louisville, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
reviews: 127
8. Re: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

I know this is an old post but if the OP or any others are still looking for places closer to Pittsburgh, I know several places closer to Pittsburgh.

My first suggestion is Rocky Gap in the Allegheny National Forrest near Warren, PA - I have ridden here several times back in the 1990s. There are two trails, both are very easy. The trail that is labeled "most difficult" does have some rocky ledges, but if the riders have experience, it should be cake. www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/allegheny/recarea/…

There are various hotels in the Warren area, or there are also rental cabins in the area.

Marienville and Timberline trails are also located in the Allegheny National Forrest and are near Cooks Forrest State Park where you could stay at a cabin. I would suggest staying off the bike trail at Marienville, but the ATV trail or the Timberline trail should be fine... www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/allegheny/recarea/…

Even closer to Pittsburgh is Mines and Meadows. I have never ridden here, but I am told they offer slow guided riding tours of the mines (if you have headlights)... http://minesandmeadows.com/

The easiest riding I know, and it is free, is Shenango Bayview OHV park. Since the 1990's, this place has gotten much smaller. There used to be a good amount of trails, but it is now about 1/3 the size. I would suggest taking kids learning to ride here, but a full day here can get boring for experienced riders. Here it is on google maps: https://maps.google.com/…

For experienced riders, check out Wellsville, OH. I have taken new riders there, but I know some of the trails and keep them away from the more difficult areas. Plenty of help for Wellsville may be found at http://www.wellsvilletrails.com/ Here it is on google maps across the river from Mountaineer: https://maps.google.com/…

michigan
reviews: 23
9. Re: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river

Little Coal River Campground. Field camping, with electric and water hook ups for campers. We tented on a large primitive, wooded site. Old picnic table and small fire ring. Locked, Heated restroom with concrete showers, hot water. Washer/dryer $3 each - did not use. Fire wood for sale. Direct access to Little Coal river TH. Located along 119, with heavy traffic and train noise throughout the night.. Free wifi, good access. Across 119 from beautiful new H-M visitor center.

Reply to: Hatfield mccoy trails lodging/little coal river
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted