We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramada on Kanawha -- can you walk to the Civic Center?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Smithfield, PA
reviews: 4
Ramada on Kanawha -- can you walk to the Civic Center?

Well...I know I COULD walk to the Civic Center. I mapped it at around .6 miles. I guess my question is, would it be safe? I see that there are sidewalks the entire way, but I've never been in that area before, so I don't know if there are drug dealers on every corner or not.

We'll be in town for a dance competition later this month, and most of the dancers and their families from our studio are staying at the Ramada. Personally, I'd rather choose a closer hotel, like the Marriott, but my daughter wants to be with her friends.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
1. Re: Ramada on Kanawha -- can you walk to the Civic Center?

Having grown up in the Charleston area and traveled to much larger cities, I find Charleston to be extremely safe. Especially the area where you will be staying. As with any city, there is a chance for crime, so you should always travel in groups and be smart. But I think you would be comfortable with the walk. And remember, you're only 2 blocks from the Charleston Town Center Mall. You can walk through the mall to get to the Civic Center, which may make you feel more comfortable.

Smithfield, PA
2. Re: Ramada on Kanawha -- can you walk to the Civic Center?

Thank you! That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I appreciate your information and advice. :)

charleston, wv
reviews: 3
3. Re: Ramada on Kanawha -- can you walk to the Civic Center?

Might add.

The Ramada is less than a block from the police station. Not exactly a high crime area. Well lit if having to walk at night. On safe side I wouldn't let kids walk alone at night. You never know.

Edited: 8:10 am, April 06, 2012
Smithfield, PA
4. Re: Ramada on Kanawha -- can you walk to the Civic Center?

Thank you for the added info. It's possible that we will be back and forth after dark, but it shouldn't be later than 8:00 or 8:30 pm. Our group of girls is too young to be out and about on their own, so that won't be a problem. :)

charleston, wv
reviews: 3
5. Re: Ramada on Kanawha -- can you walk to the Civic Center?

You'll probably be walking through the mall. Exiting out the east end of mall turn right on Court Street. Follow it out to Va Street. Lots of lighting. Courthouse on right with sheriff deputies in the area.

Turn left on Va St. You'll be in front of City Hall and police dept. One block and out to Blvd you're in hotel parking lot.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
reviews: 28
6. Re: Ramada on Kanawha -- can you walk to the Civic Center?

Quick little fun fact... if you get a chance to walk over to the Blossom Dairy Company, it's well worth the trip to visit an old-fashioned soda fountain. http://www.blossomdeli.com/

The banana split is worth the trip to Charleston, all by itself!

7. Re: Ramada on Kanawha -- can you walk to the Civic Center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:47 pm, July 09, 2013