We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Road

Which Beckley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mars
reviews: 7
Toll Road

We'll be traveling south thru Beckley next week and I'm wondering about the toll road. How much will it cost total? If we're going straight thru will we only have to stop to pay once or are there several collection spots? Will we need exact change? Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 29
1. Re: Toll Road

If you get on the "Turnpike" (as its called) in Charleston and stay on to Princeton you will pass thru 3 toll booths. $2.00 at each one. They are manned, so you don't need exact change. If you get on the toll road from Rt. 19 at the North Beckley Exit...that toll there is .40 cents and you will have one more to pass thru. $2.00 there.

I have seen your posts on the Myrtle Beach forum. Are you coming from Pittsburgh area...and heading to MB?? If so....take Rt. 19 thru Summersville and Oak Hill, hitting that North Beckley exit. It will save you a little time (rather than coming thru Charleston)...just stay the speed limit. (nothing over 65mph on Rt. 19...it is NOT Interstate) Have a good trip!!

Oh....stop at the New River Gorge Bridge Visitor Center and Overlook. Stretch your legs and look at the bridge...amazing!!

Mars
2. Re: Toll Road

Thanks for answering and giving such nice suggestions. Yes, we'll be going from Pgh. to Myrtle Beach by way of Summersville, Beckley, Wytheville and Winston-Salem. We've been thru Summersville and know to watch the speed limit very carefully. The New River Gorge is a wonderful place to stretch and look! So, I guess our total toll will be $2.40? I just hate to have a handful of quarters to throw into the basket. I'm really short and invaribly miss one! Thanks, again.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 29
3. Re: Toll Road

Yes...$2.40 total coming from Summersville. The North Beckley toll booth has one manned booth...the far right one. (The other two or three you just toss in the exact change) You could also stop at Tamarack in Beckley for a meal and to look around. (fancy, expensive gift shop of West Virginia made arts and crafts. Good food too!)

Have a great trip....the weather looks like it will be very nice!

Mars
4. Re: Toll Road

Thx! Love Tamarack!!!! I'm a quilter and drool over the beautiful quilts...but way out of my price range! Wish I had half the talent of any of those artists! We have eaten there occassionally, too. Like you said, good food!

Limerick...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Toll Road

I am a West Virginia native and have driven the Turnpike many times. The only thing I don't like is having to stop three times to pay toll. But for them I guess that's cheaper than building trumpet interchanges at every exit and having that many more manned toll plazas.

If you ever make this trip again and stop at Tamarack at Exit 45, see if you can find Up The Creek Hot Dog Sauce there. You gotta try that, it's really unique and all West Virginia.

Reply to: Toll Road
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted