We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?

Which Beckley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Defiance, OH
Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?

My family of four will be heading to WV to raft and enjoy the outdoors beginning July 18...yes, very short notice! Our first choice was a cabin with some views but we seem to be struggling to find something that is priced right and available for five nights that week due to Boyscout Jamboree. We have decided that taking our RV and camp. Does anyone have great campground recommendations where there is some sense of being in WV - views or river or wooded - but still accessible to the New River area, Tamarack, etc.? We'd prefer a family oriented campground but not overly commercialized - our kids are 12 and 15. We are hoping to go to one of the state parks to hike as well. Thank you! Any suggestions on "must do" activities is welcome as well.

7 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 34
1. Re: Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?

Yes, the Boyscout Jamboree starts this Monday and unless you already have reservations in a hotel or cabin or maybe even a campsite....good luck!! (it's going to be crazy around here!!)

Check out New River Park...the city park in Beckley. They have a nice campground. Little Beaver St. Park does too..nice and pretty new. I think there is still camping at the Raleigh Co. Armory Civic Center parking lot. But..it's is just that...a parking lot. Nothing to do there, but close to everything. Check with the rafting companies in Fayetteville:.. Ace, Cantrell, Class VI, Songer, Rivermen.

You can google all of these places. Good luck! Let us know what you find please.

Louisville, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
reviews: 127
2. Re: Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?

I hiked at Pipestem Resort State Park a few years ago and it seemed to have a nice campground and cabins. As I recall it was about an hour drive from Beckley. http://www.pipestemresort.com/

charleston, wv
reviews: 3
3. Re: Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?

Which rafting outfitter are you dealing with? You would think they would have camping available on their property.

charleston, wv
reviews: 3
4. Re: Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?

Will you have second vehicle to use while RV is parked? WV roads aren't the easiest to travel. In a large RV the commute to rafting activities would be an adventure for the driver.

Babcock State Park is maybe 30-45 minutes to rafting outfitters.

Another smaller campground over in Gauley Bridge. I'm thinking the name is New River Campground. Right on RT 60 and on the river.

Summersville, West...
reviews: 20
5. Re: Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?

There is RV campsites at WV Adventures just off Rt 19 at Glen Jean between Beckley and Oak Hill. Phone number. 304-380-2505. Rob runs the river for rafting trips and also has a camp ground, RV hook ups and cabins. ...very nice guy! I understand after the Boy Scout Camporee that people will be able to do zip lining across the road from his camp ground. I am not sure but maybe even their rock climbing wall. Contact him and he can explain how to find him. It is very easy to find.

Summersville, West...
6. Re: Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?

I read about the roads are conducive to RVs, but WV Adventures is just off RT 19 and easy to go to with and RV. Good luck!

Summersville, West...
7. Re: Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?

I just Googled West Virginia Adventures and watched a great video on its white water rafting company. 304-465-2025. Address: 241 Wood Mountain Road Glen Jean, WV (7 miles north of Beckley) They have an RV Park with cabins and camping and are expanding. They do raft trips down the New and Gauley River. The Upper New is more family oriented with kayaks and duckies for families. It is scenic and Mom can even sit in the middle and not paddle. ....mild white water. For those of you who have never visited WV, I can say from personal experience that WV is one of the most beautiful spots in the world for we have traveled many places in the world. The Lower New is Class 3 & 4 rapids. The Lower Gauley trips can be taken by Rob for those people who have no experience. The Upper Gauley is for those people with experience. The Gauley Season on the Lower Gauley is in the fall and the Big Daddy of White Water Rafting. He only does one raft trip per day and schedules it around your needs.

Reply to: Campgrounds near Beckley, Fayetteville area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted