We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yakima West to Port Angeles

Which Yakima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Katy, Texas
reviews: 35
Yakima West to Port Angeles

Looking for scenic drive - if it is worth the extra time.

We will start in Spokane, Coulee Dam then head south. Would love suggestions on interesting places to stop and scenic drives. What is Hwy. 12 like? We could then turn North to Tacoma and up to Port Angeles. Will take the ferry on our return to Seattle.

Thanks for any help and suggestions. Looking forward to cooler weather, Texas is HOT!

6 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
1. Re: Yakima West to Port Angeles

Why would you want to drive from Tacoma to Port Angeles? It is far from a scenic route, unless you enjoy the view of car bumpers and rather seedy looking towns. Is there a specific reason you want to go to Port Angeles?

Lacey, WA
2. Re: Yakima West to Port Angeles

I would recommend Hwy 410 between Yakima and Tacoma. Also known as Chinook Pass, it is beautiful, high mountain country, and winds through Mt. Rainier National Park. You can take a side trip up to Sunrise if it is open. From Tacoma, Hwy 16 takes you across the Narrows Bridge to Gig Harbor, a pretty, small downtown to visit with good restaurants. There are other great stops along the way, such as the Norwegian-themed Poulsbo. Alternately, you can head to Olympia instead of Tacoma and take Hwy 101 up Hood Canal. It is a longer and slower drive, but the canal is lovely.

Katy, Texas
3. Re: Yakima West to Port Angeles

Going to PA to visit friends who moved up there about 5 years ago - have to see them but want to see as much of Washington as we can somewhat leisurely squeeze in.

Other suggestions to PA from Yakima or Ellensburg?

Katy, Texas
4. Re: Yakima West to Port Angeles

Thank you for your quick response. If we don't go South as far as Yakima is there a scenic route from the Ellensburg or Leavenworth area? Would love a drive with a view of Mt. Ranier. Can't decide which route to take to hopefully see orchards and pick up fresh cherries.

Again, thanks for the help.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
5. Re: Yakima West to Port Angeles

Well,even though the drive to Port Angeles will not be pretty, once you are there, you can drive up Hurricane Ridge; the road starts right in PA. It's a 45 minute drive to the top, and the views up there are unforgettable.

Pasco, Washington
reviews: 21
6. Re: Yakima West to Port Angeles

Well I-90 is no view. If you go south on I-82 to Yakima to catch White or Chinook Pass, you'll see if its clear, Mt. Adams and Mt. Rainier. White Pass isn't a terrible drive, but you end up pretty far south. I've never driven The North Cascades Highway, that brings you out north of Seattle. Not too bad. Not sure about ferries from Everett over to the peninsula.

That would take you through Wenatchee and I'm sure you'll find cherries. They just started picking them here (Tri Cities).

Reply to: Yakima West to Port Angeles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted