We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

Which Yakima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
God Bless the U.S.A
reviews: 46
Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

Hi,

Planning a lengthy driving trip to Tacoma. On our last night we can stop in either Pendleton, Oregon or Kennewick, WA. Would greatly appreciate advice on which is the better place to stop.

Thanks, fellow travelers!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
1. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

It kind of depends on where your driving from. Pendleton is a smaller town with smaller type hotels. Leaving Pendleton is pretty mountainous so if its at the end of a long drive sometimes I'd stay at Pendleton to avoid the mtns later in the day. Kennewick is a much bigger city with better hotels and more places to eat etc. Sort of depends on if you prefer smaller motel type places and older downtown vs more modern with malls and chain restaraunts.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 44
2. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

As above, where are you coming from?

Have you Googled both cities to see what might appeal to you should you wish to explore a bit?

God Bless the U.S.A
3. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

We will be coming in through the Boise area on I-84. Should be logging about 500 from our starting point, so either location will get us about as far was we need to go that day. Our time spent in town will be from around 6P one night until 7A the next morning, I'm afraid, since we have to push on.

Good to know about the mountains -- thanks.

I really just wanted to make sure neither place was a dive, but also wanted to see if anyone said "you simply MUST stop in _______!"

God Bless the U.S.A
4. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

Oops! I am not sure how I ended up on the Yakima Forum -- meant to post to Pendleton. Sorry for the mixup, but thanks for the advice, anyway!

GypsyRover

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
5. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

I used to do this from Boise a few times a yr and Pendleton was sort of my good stop but I was calling on stores along the way. Just make sure the Pendleton roundup isn't going the week your travelling or you won't find a room almost anywhere.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
6. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

If this is something you would enjoy, I'm pretty sure Kennewick/Pasco has some lodging options right on the river.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
7. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

Well, I am a bit partial spent good share of my summers as a youth around Pendleton, and then my work took me there also. I have family there. but sounds like you are just moving through. Pendleton a bit further from Tacoma, but 3 or 4 motels are right off freeway, less so in Kennewick. where I-82 skirts around the motel area. t

Davie, Florida
reviews: 2
8. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

The Pendleton Woolen Mills have a factory outlet store.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
9. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

If you stop in Pendleton, there is a Holiday Inn Express there that we stayed at a couple years ago. It was fine, exactly what you would expect out of HIE.

God Bless the U.S.A
10. Re: Advice, please: Stop in Pendleton, OR or Kennewick, WA?

Thanks, all, for the great advice. We are leaving later today. This was a great help in planning.

Thanks, Again!

GR