We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yakima-Pendleton Axis: Places to stay / visit / drive thru

Which Yakima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kennewick...
Yakima-Pendleton Axis: Places to stay / visit / drive thru

Yakima-Pendleton Axis: Places to stay / visit / eat at / drive thru:

I am planning to fly into Yakima to spend a couple of days visiting with a friend who lives in the Pendleton, Oregon Area (reason is Yakima has much more frequent connecting flights w/hubs, that is what not flying into airport closer to Pendleton).

While I know that this may not be the most scenic part of either state from a totally tourist point of view, I wondered if anyone might know of a route or places to stay or mildly scenic areas to drive through as a way of spending time and meeting each other sort of 1/2-way between the two towns (from point of view of minimizing preliminary transit time)

Open to anything that is interesting in various ways.

Thanks in advance for any tips anyone might have based on personal experience or even hearsay :)

NW USA
reviews: 26
1. Re: Yakima-Pendleton Axis: Places to stay / visit / drive thru

Hi there...you might want to check out the WA State Highway Dept website for bridge openings. I was in the area a month ago and it looked like they had the bridge at Bigs Junction/Umatilla closed for construction. Not sure when you'll be there, but right now some of the fruit trees are in bloom and the wineries just had spring barrel tasting. I'd take the Yakima Valley Highway that runs adjacent to I-82 for that. Have you looked at the experiencewa.com webite? Personally I think the stretch between Prosser and Paterson (Hwy 221) is kind of a neat environment, high desert, wheat ranches, long views, goes by a big winery. Hope that helps :) if you want more info let me know.

Kennewick...
2. Re: Yakima-Pendleton Axis: Places to stay / visit / drive thru

Thanks that is very helpful & informative.

I gather that the landscape in this whole area is kind of uniform, e.g., not a lot of little green valleys or woodsy hills or anything diverse like that.

But the drive along the river sounds nice, and I appreciate the links to the two websites for road and travel sights info !

Yakima, WA
reviews: 2
3. Re: Yakima-Pendleton Axis: Places to stay / visit / drive thru

Hi Bunker,

I would also recommend hitting some wineries. In Prosser, we enjoy Kestral winery. They have a "GREAT" cheese case and we also buy make a picinic right there, tables and all. Also, you could plan on meeting your friend in the Tri-Cities area. This is an area with 3 towns, all right together, Richland, Kennewick and Pasco. Tons of hotels, shopping, etc. Probably not LA standards, but nice for our area.

If you have any other questions, please feel free. I've lived here pretty much my whole life, so I really know the area. Have a great time and enjoy. I know it's not a beautiful as other areas in Wa, but still pretty in our own way.

Michelle

4. Re: Yakima-Pendleton Axis: Places to stay / visit / drive thru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, September 27, 2009