We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

Which Spokane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
290 posts
30 reviews
Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

Wow, was hoping to fly next summer to Spokane using some airline points and then renting a car for 2 weeks to drive to Jasper, Banff, etc. But, all the major car rental companies seems to have severe restrictions (some require that you have to get the expensive liability insurance) others that you can go into BC but not AB, others that you can go across the border but they start charging a high mileage fee.

There must be some way to do this reasonably, isn't there?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
18,011 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

People do this trip ALL the time. Try posting on the Canadian Rockies forum as well. You may pick up some people who have done a similar trip and find out what arrangements they made for the car (maybe they just didn't tell them they were going to Canada. Dangerous, as it would nullify the insurance). You could also check the trip reports on the BC and Canadian Rockies forum for someone who did this trip starting and finishing from a US airport (and most of the US-based travellers do this) and just message them with your question.

Good luck!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

Truly, try Avis rent a car. You can take it anywhere in Canada and they have unlimited miles. You can get the extra insurance through your own insurance company and it pays to have it. We paid a terrible price for it in Ireland but was happy to be fully covered just in case.

www.avis.com

509-747-0707

Collie

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
290 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

collegegirl, thank you. I am still a bit concerned because I went on the Avis site and they don't share any information on options (I mean nothing is said even about unlimited mileage). Now, their liability insurance is $12/day and if that is required in addition to a pretty hefty weekly charge, I am looking at $800 plus dollars for the car rental. Seems pretty high and again, I would hate to book my flights, get there and then be told the fine print. I will explore further but I wonder where you get to read the fine print. Thrifty and Budget are read good about having an icon to click where you can read about restrictions, etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
41,163 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

Avis has some fine print on their website www.avis.com but it's not very helpful. In the top menu bar to the right, you will see "Customer Service". From the drop down menu, choose "FAQs".

Then: Find a Topic --- choose > Rental Locations and Vehicles

Then: Rental Locations and Vehicles --- choose > Answers to common Rental Policy Questions.

After all that, you will fins some basic info about crossing the border to Canada, with the advisory to contact Avis for real information. Not very forthcoming, is it?

Toronto
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

I'm currently relocating from Toronto to Vancouver, crossing through the US (Illinois, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and Washington). Alamo had no restrictions at all regarding US/CAN borders, and there was also no additional charge to drop the car off across the country.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

I have always found that Avis and Hertz are better for the business traveler. I use Alamo and Enterprise, as I find them to be cheaper. Check with your credit card companies and insurance company about their car rental coverage. Many people do not carry the extra insurance from the rental company.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

We have used Hertz on several "crossing the border" trips and never had any problems with the car rental company. These trips were SeaTac - Vancouver (including ferries to Vancouver Island), SeaTac - Calgary, and Halifax - Portland, ME. If there were any drop-off fees, they were minimal - less expensive to pay the drop-off fees instead of back-tracking.

8. Re: Any Car Rental Co's that don't restrict driving in Canada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 08, 2014