We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequim vs Port Angeles

Which Sequim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spokane, Washington
reviews: 3
Sequim vs Port Angeles

My wife and I will be in the area for 2 days this weekend. One day will be dedicated to Olympic National Park and the other will be in the Sequim/PA area. Does either town have more shopping, restaurants, etc. than the other?

9 replies to this topic
Renton, WA
1. Re: Sequim vs Port Angeles

Port Angeles is far larger, and as you might expect it has more lodging and restaurants than Sequim. kaleberg, this forum's Port Angeles expert, doesn't think much of Sequim, but we stayed in a motel at the west end of town and enjoyed the visit.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
2. Re: Sequim vs Port Angeles

PA is a better choice for both days.

Spokane, Washington
3. Re: Sequim vs Port Angeles

Thank you for the quick replies. We got a special deal at the holiday inn express in Sequim so that's where we'll be staying but it sounds like we'll spend the most time in PA. Thanks for your help!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
4. Re: Sequim vs Port Angeles

Neither town has interesting shopping, unless you count big box stores that you can find anywhere as interesting. Port Angeles has many restuarants, some of them quit good, but the best restaurant on the Peninsula is in Sequim: Alder Wood Bistro. The latter is closed on Sunday, however, so if you plan to eat there, take that into consideration. Bella Italia is a good restaurant in Port Angeles, and there are several wine bars and brew pubs in town as well. Unfortunately, the very pleasant wine bar in Sequim has closed.

Your program sounds a bit unusual. You say one day for ONP. Which places do you hope to see? ONP is so big that you will only be able to see a little of it, perhaps the view from Hurricane Ridge and Lake Crescent. By staying at the eastern end of Sequim, which is where the HIX is, you are adding 1 hour round trip to visiting the accessible sites in ONP. As for the day devoted to Sequim and Port Angeles, well there really is not all that much to see in those places. The lavender is not yet in bloom in Sequim, and although Port Angeles has its points, it is not usually though of as a destination in itself. I can recommend visiting the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center. Take a walk through their charming outdoor art installation in Webster Woods.

The Dungeness Spit is in Sequim. It is a gorgeous beach on the Straits, and it offers fine hiking.

Spokane, Washington
5. Re: Sequim vs Port Angeles

I should have been more clear. On one day, we'd like to visit Hoh Rain Forest, Second Beach in La Push, and Forks so not all of ONP. Wanted to do a hike to a beach and through the forest. On the day in Port Angeles/ Sequim area, we actually just decided to do the hike to the lighthouse on Dungeness Spit so that'll take up a big chuck of that day. I thought Port Angeles was a destination, I'm surprised to hear that there aren't any cool shops to explore in town.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
6. Re: Sequim vs Port Angeles

Well, you can try Bay Variety in Port Angeles. Port Book and News is a nice little bookstore and well worth a visit. Otherwise, I don't know where you got the idea that Port Angeles is a destination. It makes a great gateway to ONP, and it is a great place to live. It is not a great place to visit.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 263
7. Re: Sequim vs Port Angeles

Although you'll be staying in Sequim, you might consider taking a day trip to Port Townsend. IMO, it is superior to both Sequim and Port Angeles for interesting shopping and good dining experiences -- not only the downtown waterfront area but also up the hill along Lawrence Street (Lanza's Italian restaurant is a particular favorite).

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
8. Re: Sequim vs Port Angeles

OregonJohn has made a good suggestion. PT is far superior to Sequim and PA in terms of restaurants (except for Alder Wood Bistro) and shopping. PT also is a beautiful town, known for its perfectly preserved Victorian architecture. It is well under an hour from the Holiday Inn Express in Sequim.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
9. Re: Sequim vs Port Angeles

If you have the option, come to PT on Saturday for the Farmer's Market.

Reply to: Sequim vs Port Angeles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequim