We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Ocean shores worth the trip

Which Ocean Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milwaukee, wi
reviews: 30
Is Ocean shores worth the trip

It's our first visit to the pacific NW. We are starting out in Seattle for three days, then the Port Angeles area for two nights. Should we go back to Seattle for the last two nights or go to Ocean Shores or anywhere else on the west coast of Washington?

7 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
1. Re: Is Ocean shores worth the trip

Why not visit the gorgeous beaches of Olympic National Park? Rialto Beach and Second Beach are 1 hour and 20 minutes from Port Angeles. If you wished to stay right on the beach, you could rent a cabin in LaPush at Oceanside Resort, or you could drive down into the southern half of ONP and stay at Kalaloch Lodge. The latter would put you close to exquisite little Ruby Beach. Ocean Shores is flat and dull by comparison.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 41
2. Re: Is Ocean shores worth the trip

I'd not go to Ocean Shores.

I'd include the beaches suggested above then drive to interesting Port Townsend and explore. I'd take the Port Townsend ferry (reservations!) to Coupeville, on Whidbey Island. On WI, you'd have choices, but if time allows, go south a bit, see/walk the little towns of Langley and Coupeville, then head north, across the Deception Pass Bridge (Google Images and walk it) east on 20 to I-5 south.

Whidbey Island WI is a great day or more getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; this TA article includes key websites, tours, maps. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
3. Re: Is Ocean shores worth the trip

Somehow Ocean Shores does not seem like great place to spend your time. I like Voyaging's idea. Ocean shores has big beach, and we have stayed there, but not top of our list in WA.. Port Townsend is

Edited: 12:51 am, May 14, 2012
Bellingham, WA
reviews: 60
4. Re: Is Ocean shores worth the trip

I agree Ocean Shores is not very inviting--just row of hotels with flat beach with cars all around and tacky tourist shops. The coast up towards the north is much more beautiful. Olympic National Park, Sol Duc Hot Springs, Port Townsend, Coupeville are all better alternatives. In fact I'd skip staying in Port Angeles and stay at either Kalaloch Lodge, Lake Crescent Lodge, or La Push. The following website may give you some additional ideas: www.olympicpeninsula.org/places-to-stay

Versailles, France
reviews: 111
5. Re: Is Ocean shores worth the trip

Nope. Lots of other places to go! Ocean Shores itself is rather depressing though the coast is lovely if you drive up to Taholah. Apart from that, I wouldn't bother!

Mount Vernon...
6. Re: Is Ocean shores worth the trip

I like Ocean Shores because I like to get away from it all, but the real question is what kind of vacation do you like? Port Townsend is much more picturesque than Port Angeles, with Victorian homes, Fort Worden, and cute shops. For scenery, driving along the northern coast is beautiful. It's a long drive to Forks or La Push, longer than it looks on the map. Doing the loop around the Olympic Peninsula is possible, but if you only have two days, they will be long days. Kalaloch is a favorite spot of mine, too, so I can recommend it. If you are feeling adventurous, do take the Coupeville/Keystone ferry to Whidbey Island, see the Deception Pass bridge, follow the road north and then east to Interstate 5. Or, after landing at Keystone, drive south to Clinton and take the Mukilteo ferry back to the mainland south of Everett. Have fun!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
7. Re: Is Ocean shores worth the trip

Take Kaleberg's advise. The most dramatic beaches in Washington are in Olympic National Park. Kalaloch is a good option, but I much prefer Rialto and Second. Oceanside Resort is a good option. The only problem with the area is a lack of decent places to eat. Kalaloch does have a restaurant. I have been meaning to download a sunset I took two weeks ago at Rialto. If you are interested I will send you the link.

Reply to: Is Ocean shores worth the trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted