We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Ocean Shores

Which Ocean Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
Trip to Ocean Shores

We went to Ocean Shores this past week for a 4 night stay, My wife found a deal at the Ocean Shores Inn and Suites. This was our second visit to Ocean Shores

We left on Weds mid-morn. As we got in car wife says why don't we go through Astoria. I don't do well with instant planning. So I said that is too far. I had planned to take US-12 to coast

As we drove up I-5 from Vancouver checked map, and looked like we could go leave I-5 at Longview and head along SR-4 to coast. So we tried that. Left I-5 at exit 36. which was not SR-4 and not well signed, but we had done that before and eventually found SR-4 somewhere west of Longview. I had forgotten it was a fairly scenic drive along river as far as Cathlamet. though it was raining hard.

We headed north at Naselle to catch 101. Then drove to Aberdeen. Fairly good road but not real scenic.

Checked in about 3. It was raining. It rained the next three days. we are regulars to Oregon coast and can stand some rain, but this was well beyond some.

We took our pooch and wife did find a break to get down to beach with her, And we did drive down peninsula to check out the town when raining only lightly. But we spent most of time in room. we did two jigsaw puzzles. Wife read one book.

We left a day early.

Edited: 6:16 pm, April 02, 2012
4 replies to this topic
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
1. Re: Trip to Ocean Shores

Truly, a sad NW tale. :) What a winter... Next time, Phirl.

Renton, WA
2. Re: Trip to Ocean Shores

That part of the coast holds the record for rainfall in the contiguous US, so I am not surprised. That's why the rain forest is located up there.

My wife and I did the identical trip and it did not rain a single drop during our visit. Mother Nature can be fickle.

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
3. Re: Trip to Ocean Shores

At least you tried! Better than hanging out home by the TV.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
4. Re: Trip to Ocean Shores

Last time we went to OS was in Oct, decent regular coast weather then. some rain.

We took our golf clubs. they stayed in car,

we may have spent another night, but decided to spend Sat nite with son and family in Yelm on way home, wife had to be at work Sun 1PM in Portland.

Edited: 12:30 am, April 03, 2012
Reply to: Trip to Ocean Shores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ocean Shores