We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

Which Ocean Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Langley City, Canada
reviews: 46
Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

We were just in Oregon last week and loved it there - I realize the coastline isn't as spectactular in Washington (never been though), but we're just trying to figure out if there are any spots that have good storm watching beaches in Washington since we're tight on time and hoping to cut down the journey from Vancouver (it's about 7 hours to where we were in Oregon, so looking to see if there are any places in Washington that would be closer to a 4 or 5 hour drive for us).

If anyone has some recommendations for areas or beaches we should check out that would be great!

10 replies to this topic
Port Orchard...
reviews: 31
1. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

Rialto Beach out of Forks, WA and Kalaloch are my favorites in the winter for storm watching. Ruby Beach up the road from Kalaloch is also good. All are located on the Olympic Peninsula.

Langley City, Canada
2. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

Rialto Beach looks beautiful! Is Forks pretty much the closest spot to stay to go there, or do you know if there are closer places? I'm assuming Forks is more expensive/busy now with all of the Twilight hype...

Port Orchard...
reviews: 31
3. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

Forks is a pretty small town but there are some motels there. If you go to LaPush (just across the river from Rialto) it has a motel right on the beach . I have stayed in the RV park there...rustic but nice location. Check out motels on trip advisor or another travel site and I think you will find some Port Angeles is about an hour away (you go thru it to get to Rialto) but if you continue on down the road you will come to Lake Quinault which has a great Lodge in the rain forest that is fun to stay at. There is also a lodge and cabins on the cliff at Kalaloch. We love to stay there in the winter and watch the ocean. Great place!! Hope that helps.

Langley City, Canada
4. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

Perfect, thank you!!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
5. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

We just spent the night again at La Push. The place is nicer and has had more improvements every time we go. Definitely go there. The Cabins and the motel rooms are huge and comfortable. Wood stoves with wood provided. Outstanding views of the ocean and right on the beach. No more "rustic" than any other accommodation you will find in the area.

Honestly, I have no connection with the place. I just love it so much every time we go.

In Forks you could literally see the Twilighters staring around blankly, wondering what in the world they've gotten themselves into, scrambling for something to take a picture of. I'd have felt sorry for them if they weren't such a great source of amusement.

Enjoy the storms,

chuck

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
6. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

Kalaloch Resort and Quileute Ocenside Resort are indeed your best choices. Forks is still cheap even though it is getting a lot of attention. If you stay at Kalaloch they have restaurant which was so so the last time I stayed there which has been a long long time. There is a restaurant in La Push near the Oceanside Resort and it is ok. I would bring food if I was staying at either places and cook yourself. The food in Forks is not very good. The one advantage to staying at La Push is you could also visit the Hoh Rainforest as a side trip. If you bring raingear and boots it is worth a visit even in the rain. I also love Lake Quinault which has some nice walks near the Lodge. The Lake is inland though and could be added if you had more time after staying on the Ocean.

Langley City, Canada
7. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

Thank everyone, La Push definitely looks like a good spot and very cheap! Being right by the beach is the main reason we want to go there so that's great!

8. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

Westport is really an easy drive from Vancouver or Seattle (2-1/2 hours) and has a couple of great spots for storm watching. The first the Port of Grays Harbor lookout tower, which is right at the West end of the marina (the address you can mapquest is 421 E. Neddie Rose Drive, which is our restaurant, but the tower is across the street). The waves coming over the groins and the jetty is a really spectacular sight.

You can stay at the Islander or Harbor Resort, both have motel quality rooms that will have views of the ocean that make for good storm watching at the marina. If you are looking for higher end lodging, right on the beach, check out the condos at Vacations by the Sea, they have a stormwatching page on their website: www.vacationbythesea.com/stormwatching.php.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 2
9. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

The Washington coast is glorious and more unspoiled than the Oregon Coast. They are both very beautiful, but Washington has a big national park along the coastline. Yes, try Rialto, La Push, Shi Shi. Don't know who told you that Oregon's beaches are more spectacular! The entire coast is worth seeing.

Edited: 12:51 am, February 12, 2013
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
10. Re: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?

Not to start an argument, but many people including myself (aside from the Olympic Coastline) consider the Oregon coastline more beautiful. Then there is the fact that on the Olympic coast your choices of places to stay are very limited.

Reply to: Spots along Washington Coast for Storm Watching?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ocean Shores