We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lummi Island late September, early October

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
reviews: 16
Lummi Island late September, early October

We're thinking of hanging out for a few days with our two old dogs in a VRBO house in late September/early October. Looking for some good seafood to cook at home, letting the dogs play in the water and relaxing. Is it still a nice time of the year to visit, anything we shouldn't miss, all ideas are greatly appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
11. Re: Lummi Island late September, early October

Thanks for clarifying, I was trying to cook and read at the same time and misunderstood. I have found a number of dog friendly rentals, I just need to really sift through them and make a plan.

Everett
12. Re: Lummi Island late September, early October

Lummi is a bit laid back. We stayed at the Shavasana yurt(http://www.vrbo.com/169427 allows dogs) which is a short walk from the Willows inn and has a big yard for dogs to play in. There is a public beach access across from the Willows Inn. There are hiking trails that lead from the back of the property to the interior and Curry preserve which has some nice trails and views of Baker. The Otto preserve at the southern end of the island has some nice hikes and as someone else mentioned the Baker Reserve hike up Lummi Mountain. The nice thing about Lummi is that the ferry ride is only 8 minutes long and you usually don't have to wait very long for it. It costs $20 for car/driver and one passenger. You just pay going over on the Ferry. The car ferry is in dry dock from Sept 4-25 and so they only have a passenger ferry during that time. We love Lummi Island.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
13. Re: Lummi Island late September, early October

Thanks R S, the yurt is one of the places we're considering it looks pretty neat. And a huge thank you for letting me know when the car ferry is in dry dock, that would have been a big problem.

Seattle, Wa
reviews: 24
14. Re: Lummi Island late September, early October

The thing I wonder about Lummi is access to groceries. The one little store is pretty small. I see they have a farmer's market on Saturday mornings, but I don't know what they have--I can't imagine there are many vendors.

Note that Willows does some interesting things on nights where they don't serve their dinners--ie Spot Prawn Mondays (depending on the season of course).

Bellingham...
reviews: 310
15. Re: Lummi Island late September, early October

the one store is pretty small and not much selection and the farmers market is small (and it is summertime only if I remember right) but it is is really laid back and most tourists are gone by fall so no crowds

i think your pooches would be happier on orcas/saltspring/pender/san juan

seattle
reviews: 8
16. Re: Lummi Island late September, early October

This is our third visit to Lummi and Willows Inn. How could you be bored with incredible food, beautiful water views and peace and quiet? And biking, hiking, kayaking, walking, swimming (cold!).

Bellingham, WA
reviews: 61
17. Re: Lummi Island late September, early October

Just a heads up. The ferry to Lummi is quite small and every now and then it needs maintenance. When that happens they only offer walk-on passenger service for the few days regular ferry is out of commission. Here's the website for the ferry where you can see scheduled maintenance, but for unscheduled. . .? www.co.whatcom.wa.us/publicworks/ferry/

Edited: 9:04 am, September 23, 2014
Reply to: Lummi Island late September, early October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lummi Island