We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leavenworth to Seattle leg

Which Leavenworth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Humble, Texas
reviews: 2
Leavenworth to Seattle leg

This will be our last leg of 3-day North Cascades loop tour (Tues 9/14) leaving the Leavenworth area in the mid-morning hours. Would like to stop by Snoqualmie Falls on the way in, but it looks like it's much closer to 90 than 2. Any rhyme or reason to taking 97 south to 90 and make it back to Seattle that way, or take 2 all the way in and double back to 90 via 405 (or is there a quicker way before 405 to get to Snoqualmie)? Would I be missing more scenic stops along 2 if I chose 90?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
1. Re: Leavenworth to Seattle leg

They are both attractive routes, but I'd take I-90 to avoid driving the other routes and possible/probable heavy traffic as you approach the urban areas. Rte. 2 does have small towns you might enjoy visiting, but given your driving time, I'd lean toward I-90.

BTW, observe speed signs once off I-90 and on the short way to the Falls. If not mentioned earlier, if you take the North Bend exit, you'll go through the town of Snoqualmie and you might check out the RR Museum and trains. At the falls, there is a large parking lot on the right side of the road, up hill, with a pedestrian bridge toward the Salish Lodge and the falls.

Snoqualmie Falls, east of Seattle less than one hour.

http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/

Snoqualmie Train Museum and Rides

http://www.trainmuseum.org/

Edited: 10:49 am, August 29, 2010
Davie, Florida
reviews: 2
2. Re: Leavenworth to Seattle leg

should you come in on I-90 stop at Roslyn near Cle Elum which was the location for the exterior shots on Northern Exposure, very historic old mining town.

Edited: 12:53 pm, August 29, 2010
western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
3. Re: Leavenworth to Seattle leg

Highway 2 is a lot more scenic than I-90, I think. You can take 203 through the Snoqualmie Valley down to the Falls, then complete the trip on I-90.

On 203, there are some good restaurants and shops in Duvall, and Remlinger Farms in Carnation is fun.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Leavenworth to Seattle leg

I agree, 203 is a very nice route.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Leavenworth to Seattle leg

BTW, if you find Monroe traffic backing up, use GoogleMaps or GPS for a couple of roads that are just east of downtown Monroe that lead to 203. Or, simply, wait it out if necessary. You should be OK on a weekday.

Edited: 6:21 pm, August 29, 2010
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 16
6. Re: Leavenworth to Seattle leg

But even though a major highway, I-90, is very scenic too. I think living here we forget sometimes that natural beauty surrounds us at every turn. Even though I have traveled I-90 hundreds of times, I still marvel at the road engineering on the descent from the Pass. If your goal is Snoqualmie Falls, from Leavenworth, I think I'd take I-90, for pure efficiency. Yes the route through Duvall and Carnation is great, but I also like 97 from Leavenworth and the views as you travel west on I-90.

Either way, it's pretty great.

7. Re: Leavenworth to Seattle leg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, February 26, 2011