We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping Lady/Leavenworth or Suncadia?

Which Cle Elum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 3
Sleeping Lady/Leavenworth or Suncadia?

Hi all! Planning a quick two night getaway out of Seattle in February. We will be 3 adults, 2 children (ages 4 and 6). Looking for a cozy place to stay, tubing for the kids and some good food/drinks/atmosphere for the adults! Would be great if we were walking distance to town.

I like that Suncadia has activities onsite, ie, tubing and skating. Is Suncadia walking distance to town? Or are you contained to that site?

If anyone has a strong recommendation, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
1. Re: Sleeping Lady/Leavenworth or Suncadia?

People seem to like both places, so it's hard to say. Have you been to Leavenworth? Do you like it?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 16
2. Re: Sleeping Lady/Leavenworth or Suncadia?

Both are great. Different experiences. Sleeping Lady is more low key & rustic, Suncadia is more luxury, upscale.

Understand that Suncadia is designed to be a resort that is fully self contained - ultimately it will have it's own "village". The nearest town is Cle Elum, a few miles, but certainly not walking distance. From Suncadia you can explore both Cle Elum & Roslyn, if you like.

For you, I'd give slight preference to Suncadia, because of it's closer proximity to Seattle, just 80 miles, several dining choices onsite at the resorts (they even have a winery), and numerous family activities and amenities. With young children, I very much like the indoor pool in the winter. Suncadia also has a broad variety of accommodations, from hotel rooms to condos to home rentals.

Leavenworth is about an hour further, and you will travel over another small pass. I do enjoy the Leavenworth area primarily for it's natural beauty and outdoor activities. The town of Leavenworth itself can be "touristy" and kitschy - not necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of. Yes, I do enjoy checking out the shops, but you can only do that for so long, and it certainly is not fun with young children. There are several winery tasting rooms in downtown Leavenworth. The quality of the restaurants is just average.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
reviews: 91
3. Re: Sleeping Lady/Leavenworth or Suncadia?

Considering the ages of your children, I would definitely go with Suncadia. Leavenworth is fun with kids in the summertime, but in the winter, I'm not sure that it would be that exciting for younger kids.

Edited: 1:20 am, January 12, 2012
western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
4. Re: Sleeping Lady/Leavenworth or Suncadia?

The Suncadia resort is letting go half of their staff, due to low snowfall this year. You might want to confirm with them what their staff cuts will do to resort services.

Seattle
reviews: 3
5. Re: Sleeping Lady/Leavenworth or Suncadia?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm just at a loss here! We could really go anywhere within a two hour drive. Just looking for some awesome kids activities, snow, great atmosphere and something different!!

Sounds like weather is a huge factor for Suncadia...if ithere's no snow, we will miss out on the one activity we're looking for - tubing! I readh about sleigh rides, dog sleds, etc. Hmm, not sure what to do. I'll keep reading :-)

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 16
6. Re: Sleeping Lady/Leavenworth or Suncadia?

Escape_the_rain,

Understand that so far this year it has been funky snow year. Much of the US that would be typically covered in snow - have had none. Ski Resorts around the country are closed or partially open.

Here in the Northwest, we are doing ok, and are lucky. That said...the snowfall is ok, not awesome - at least not yet. For December 2011, Seattle had the driest December on record.

It is hard to predict what the snow levels will be for February. Know that with either place you could have snow - or not.

Leavenworth currently has snow, but that can always change. Here are some Leavenworth webcams that give you an idea.

www.icicleinn.com/activities/snowcams.htm

And Suncadia should have snow too - there is plenty at the Pass. As of today, the snow depth at the pass is 43 inches, with more snow expected toward the weekend. The snow level is expected to be at 500 ft or less on Sunday. You can check out the webcams:

www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/

Regarding the staffing furloughs at Suncadia - they have done that before, when business was slow, and truly it wouldn't worry me. It is a big resort that still is trying to meet it's numbers.

Personally, there will always be rooms available in the winter at Suncadia. Sleeping Lady is a smaller resort, but you may call them and ask how their occupancy is for the weekend you are considering. That may make your decision. Otherwise, I would wait until you are a little closer to your dates to see what the snowfall is.

Reply to: Sleeping Lady/Leavenworth or Suncadia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cle Elum