We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
reviews: 4
Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

Hello,

We are a middle aged English couple visiting Vancouver in June. We love the idea of a day trip to Bellingham as it looks so nice and we love the idea of a non-touristy small, pretty place to visit.

I am a right in thinking that the Amtrak Cascades train is a one a day ( in each direction) set up to Bellingham, with about 11-12 hours between arrival & departure? ( Or have I ready the schedule wrong?)

How far is it from Train station to the downtown area, is it walkable or would we have to get a cab?

We are not really into museums ( in the art sense). We just fancy a wander around a cute place, with nice scenery......Is it far to the waters edge from downtown. ie walkable?

If the train is a no-go, how practical is the bus? is it do-able or is the ride not so nice?

I realise we will need our passports and Esta ( which we have from previous visits to New York).

What are the things I need to know to enable us to do this?

Thank you very much in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
reviews: 261
1. Re: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

Hi there

Here are a few things about what you said.

In June Bellingham WILL be very touristy as it is the summer season.

As well June is too far out to have a train schedule you can accurately rely on and make plans with.

I would suggest you wait a while before purchasing tickets.

You would need to take a cab from the train station to downtown or you could take the city bus.

Bus number is 105.

ridewta.com/route_105

There are many areas to see water in and around the Belllingham area so I would suggest some homework on this.There are local lakes, the Bellingham bay, and State and County parks as well as different areas of Puget Sound.

If it is only for one day I would suggest you pick only 1 to try.

Also remember border wait times are higher in the summer for the train and ferries.

Yorkshire
2. Re: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

Thank you for the speedy reply.

I realise that it is a bit early for train schedules, I thought that maybe the ones available on line at present, might be all that there is. If there are more trains in the Summer then that would be a bonus!

When I said not touristy, I meant not sports games type crowds LOL I appreciate it will be busy everywhere in the Summer.

We were just hoping to visit, see some nice scenery on the actual journey and walk around a different "downtown" area with the walk to the waters edge and perhaps a few photo opportunities.

How far from the train station is it to downtown and where would you suggest we ask to be dropped off?

I think the thing that would be most important to my hubby is, is the train journey from Vancouver to Bellingham scenic?

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, thank you.

Bellingham...
3. Re: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

The train from Couver to Bellingham is not really scenic in my opinion.Maybe just a little bit but not as much as in other places of the Amtrak Cascades line.It is better between Bellingham and Mt.Vernon.

If you wanted to you could ride the train to Mt.Vernon and then take the 80X bus back to Bellingham:

ridewta.com/route_80X

Yes they usually increase train and ferry service in the summer months.They will also be more crowded however.

The city bus takes about 20 to 25 minutes or so to go downtown and is usually reliable.I would be dropped off at the downtown transportation center where it stops there you can buy passes and look at maps and there are places to eat nearby as well.

Taxis are also around there.

Bellingham...
4. Re: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

bellingham.org/transportation/…

wikitravel.org/en/Bellingham_(Washington)

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
5. Re: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

Couver???

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
6. Re: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

Ya I know that locals call Vancouver, Wa um gag "the Couve"

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
7. Re: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

The train ride would be more interesting than the bus for sure. The Bolt Bus drops off in a very boring part of town (the mall area/Meridian). The train drops off in Fairhaven which is a great part of town to wander for the day (waterfront parks, shops, pubs, seafood, bookstores). It is worth it to head downtown by bus or cab if arriving on a Sat to catch the Farmers Market - however, you may not be able to take much procuce back across the border. Let us know what you would like to eat - that is one of the best parts of this town - excellent food!

Yorkshire
8. Re: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

Thank you, for the info. Would we need to "find" a taxi or are there Taxi stands near the train station? Indeed, would there be taxi's near the "Bolt Bus" drop off point?

We are veggie,which I know is a shame because I am sure the seafood is probably fantastic in your part of the world right? :-)

Bellingham looks (on street view and google images) a wonderful place to live and you are so close to other places for( from your perspective) domestic tourism, I am quite jealous LOL.

Thank you very much indeed, to each of you, for taking the time to reply and make suggestions, it is very much appreciated. :-)

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
9. Re: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?

Taxis "stage" by either drop off, it won't be difficult to find one. Don't worry about the veggie options - we are a bunch of hippies around here so most restaurants have veggie/vegan options (though it is a shame you won't try the salmon). Another option is to rent a car from the train station - parking is free on the weekend - that way you can get out to Lake Padden or Whatcom Falls for a wander. There is also the campus sculptures. If you are downtown you may want to check out the Mount Baker Theater to see is they are having a tour. I would also consider wandering the maina area to see the working fishing boats.

Reply to: Wanting day trip from Vancouver to Bellingham, via train?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bellingham