We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold weather and Parking at BLI airport

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 7
Cold weather and Parking at BLI airport

My wife and I are flying out of BLI for Hawaii in a few days. Our flight leaves early, around 8am-ish, so we're planning to arrive at BLI around 6:30am.

We're trying to pack light, since we're going to the tropics. It'll probably be in the low 30s F (~0 C) when we arrive at the airport.

My wife is pregnant. And very cold-intolerant. Even more so now that she's pregnant.

This is our first time at Bellingham airport, so I'm not familiar with the layout of the facility. I think I have it figured out but I'd like some opinions and/or reassurance.

My plan is to drop her off curbside in front of the terminal with the suitcase, and then go park the car in the Main Terminal Parking Lot ($10/day), and then run to the terminal to meet her. When we return to BLI (at night), I plan to go get the car alone, blast the heater to make sure the car is nice and toasty, and then pick her up curbside.

We will be packing a single medium weight coat, scarf, and beanie to keep her covered up while she walks between car and terminal and between terminal and plane (boarding happens outside on the tarmac, correct?).

If anyone else has a better idea, I'd love to hear it :-)

Thanks in advance!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 16
1. Re: Cold weather and Parking at BLI airport

BLI is about as easy as it gets. Truly, you can pull up curbside and she will be just steps to your car.

When I travel, I like to bring things that have dual duty. Remember, even in Hawaii, and depending where you are traveling in the islands, it can be "chilly" in the evening when a wrap or even a fleece feels good. I am often cold on the plane.

I like to travel with a pashmina (a large wrap or scarf) that works as a generous scarf or an over the shoulder wrap. On my last Hawaii trip (in March) I needed both a lightweight fleece and my rain jacket.

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
2. Re: Cold weather and Parking at BLI airport

Your plan will work out fine. Just be aware that you will have to circle around to get back to the entrance for parking after dropping her off at the curb. The airport may have added a heat lamp by the bench outside, but if they did that is where the smokers congregate so she may not want to wait there. There is a windowed main door and she can stay inside and wait to see your car before coming outside.

Personally, I think the airport is cold in places, but that might be settled by now (I think the baggage pick up has moved inside). I've only dropped off friends for flights since the construction ended, but I think all flights board from the tarmac still.

I agree with IslandGirl - she should take a "wrap" of some kind. I generally use my sarong or beach towel on the flight itself.

Please don't run thru the parking lot - we may not have snow, but ice is common on dark surfaces (my deck is currently icy). It won't be as cold at the airport since it is more protected from wind off the water.

Also, grab something to eat before you get to the airport - there isn't very much to eat there- Scotty Brown's is in terminal, but IMO it isn't good food and way to expensive (judging by the one in town).

Enjoy your trip!

San Francisco...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Cold weather and Parking at BLI airport

Island Girl and PacificNWAuntie,

Thanks to both of you for the reassuring replies!!!

Good idea about the raincoats. The forecast on Maui calls for occasional showers. Instead of the mid-weight coat (which is kinda bulky), I'll have her wear a lightweight thermal top, light cotton hoodie (useful for Hawaiian evenings), a mid-weight fleece, and her lightweight rain shell. I think all those layers topped off with a beanie should suffice for the brief moments she'll be outside at BLI.

Thanks for the warning about the potential icy parking lot, I'll keep it to a brisk walk instead :-) And we intend to pack lunch for the flight, so we'll likely skip Scott Brown's as well!

4. Re: Cold weather and Parking at BLI airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 11, 2014