We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Bellingham? What to do / worth a visit?

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
How many days in Bellingham? What to do / worth a visit?

My BF and I were planning a trip possibly July 2014, we'll have been in Hawaii for a week before flying to Seattle and maybe staying 4 days? in the city.

I was also looking for different experience / type of town to visit in Washington that captures its beauty, greeness, wilderness etc, rather than only seeing a big city.

We will then head to Vancouver after a couple of days.

After some searching, Bellingham just seemed to keep popping out at me, and pictures looked beautiful

I was wondering how big a place it was, is it more a town or city etc. and is it a scenic town we can relax in, see the outdoors and experience nature a bit more

Is there enough to do for 2-3 days, the first 4 or so pages of this forum seem to be only about day trips there and airport parking :)

Thanks for any advice!!

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 61
1. Re: How many days in Bellingham? What to do / worth a visit?

Well, I don't want to say anything bad about Bellingham, but my feeling is that you would be better off spending 2-3 days on the islands (the San Juan Islands) or heading into BC and heading further north. There is just more to see and do.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
2. Re: How many days in Bellingham? What to do / worth a visit?

Bellingham ia a cute little spot and the old town of Fairhaven there is a worth a stop of a couple of hours, but it is not a "destination" where you would spend 2 or 3 days. Spend more time in Vancouver or add in a couple of days in Victoria.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
3. Re: How many days in Bellingham? What to do / worth a visit?

you could easily take the Mt. Baker Hwy from Bham and see Mt. Baker area. its quite nice. You can also drive Chuckanut drive and visit the town of La Conner and drive over to Deception pass. I spent a weekend in Bellingham and did a few day trips. Its a major destination for Canadians going shopping at all the malls. Its a small college town right on the water so pretty scenic but not in my mind a 'destination' but a doable base to do some exploring

Seattle, Wa
reviews: 30
4. Re: How many days in Bellingham? What to do / worth a visit?

If you want to see the outdoors and enjoy nature, there is plenty NEAR Bellingham but I wouldn't spend time in the town itself. The mountains nearest to Bellingham--the North Cascades around Mt Baker--are quite snowy until August, though if you're coming late July you'll be able to access some areas,. As someone already mentioned the San Juan Islands are wonderful, and they are in between Seattle and Vancouver. Or choose one of our national parks (though again, hopefully your visit is later in July because all of our mountains are still pretty snowy early in the month).

Perth, Australia
5. Re: How many days in Bellingham? What to do / worth a visit?

Thanks for the great advice guys, especially regarding the size of Bellingham, or us maybe running out of things to do. I appreciate it.

Ill have a deeper look into Mt Baker as well as San Juan islands, and maybe leave Bellingham as a day trip if anything,

Thanks everyone, its so hard to choose where to go, you have too much to see!

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
6. Re: How many days in Bellingham? What to do / worth a visit?

Long time local putting in my two cents. This town is beautiful with plenty to do (and excellent places to eat) for a long weekend. The summer is the perfect time to visit esp. if you like to do things on the water. As for town-size, Cairns reminded me a lot of Bellingham if that helps at all.

On the water: kayak trips, whale watching tours, Lake Padden has fishing or you can do what a lot of people do and plunk a cooler on a float and paddle around. If you sail - the bay is challenging - or you can charter a day trip and let someone else captain. There are sailing races on Wednesday that are fun to watch from several of the parks. There are free concerts on the weekend at Boulevard Park.

Whatcom Falls Park (falls, fish hatchery), Marine Park (to fly kites), Big Rock Garden (for the sculptures), and Boulevard Park are my favorite parks to wander / explore.

Day trip up to Mt. Baker. or hike Larabee - there are many great hikes actually. Personally, I like the bat caves (I have no idea if that is what they are actually called). The local visitor's bureau usually comes out with an excellent hiking guide in the spring.

The campus has an excellent sculpture collection that is worth an afternoon wander.

Sadly, I think most visitors only get to see the "non-local" boring part of town - the mall and the airport. I haven't been to the mall in years (oops, take that back - I saw a movie there about a month ago). Most of the people I know don't go anywhere near that end of town because there isn't anything worth dealing with Meridian traffic for except maybe the Spice Hut and a few of the restaurants out there.

If you do change your mind and stop and visit - let us know what kind of food you like - there are great restaurants all over town.

7. Re: How many days in Bellingham? What to do / worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 25, 2014