We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 64
Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

We will be flying a red eye from Honolulu to Bellingham and should land around 8am.

We are not sure whether we will be too tired to drive straight from the airport home to B.C., a trip of about approximately 7hrs including border and ferry.

Has anyone done this without a quick sleep at a hotel? Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 60
1. Re: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

I don't see why this would be an issue, unless you know that you will be unsafe driving with that level of sleep. You can also always pull over and take a snooze in your car, at the ferry dock, on the boat, etc. What are your alternatives? Stay in Bellingham? Not go home?

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
2. Re: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

Can you take the ferry from Anacortes? If that schedule works, it would mean less driving, and you can probably sleep in the car or on the ferry.

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
3. Re: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

Why would it take 7 hrs to get from Bellingham to Victoria? You can nap a bit on the Tsawwassen ferry. If you're further up island, take the Nanaimo for more down time.

Anacortes to Victoria ferry only runs in the summer. Getting to PA to take the Black Ball would be a long journey.

Washington - the...
4. Re: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

Hotel won't work well, since check in isn't until 2 or 3pm - you would have to check in via cc in order to crash for a nap in the morning and then check out by 11am or noon (depending on hotel) or pay for 2 nights.

I don't think the crossing would be that bad in the morning. I think it is doable.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
5. Re: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

That was at the back of my mind when I suggested the Anacortes route. Too bad, as it would probably offer the shortest driving and the most time to just pull over and nap.

Agree that 7 hours seems long. It should only be about four hours once you are across the border, and I can't see it taking three hours to get from Bellingham Airport to White Rock.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 266
6. Re: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

The Bellingham airport is on the north side of Bellingham, so there's not a whole lot of traffic to worry about. It's about a half-hour from there to the border, then another half-hour to the Tsawassen-Swartz Bay ferry. You can snooze on the ferry (90 minute crossing) and from there it's less than a half-hour to downtown Victoria, less if you live in the north or northeast areas of greater Victoria.

I'd also try to grab some sleep on the 5-plus hours on the plane from Honolulu.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 64
7. Re: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

Thanks everyone.

LOL, we had forgotten that we will have been actuallyu en route for over 24hrs by the time we land as we get into Honolulu at 7am the previous day (we are visiting friends for the day so no chance of sleep then!) So, driving as soon as we land is not a great idea for us.

Anyone know if there is a taxi or limo service that offers service from Bellingham airport to the border or even preferably to downtown Vancouver? We have used the Quick Shuttle before but their schedule is too tight for us (8:25am from Bellingham). We could wait around for the next shuttle or catch the Amtrak but not keen on the idea of having to hang around.

I e-mailed several hotels but it looks like our option is to either book for the night before to be sure of a room waiting for us or we would just book a room for the day we arrive and hang around in a lobby area until one became available.

So now we are thinking get to Vancouver as soon as possible and book into a room there. And so, wondering what taxi options there might be.

Washington - the...
8. Re: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

You could take a cab to the Bolt Bus -I think there is a noon bus to downtown Vancouver.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
9. Re: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC

Yes, the flying before Honolulu is a tiny factor you left out :-) I certainly wouldn't do it, but maybe you sleep like a baby on planes. You could call some hotels and see if they have "day room" options. Checking in as early as noon is often possible with just regular rates. If you were flying into SeaTac, I'd suggest considering taking the train to Vancouver and then making your way by ferry to Victoria (if you didn't have your own cat at Bellingham).

Reply to: Red Eye Honolulu to Bellingham & Drive Home to BC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted