We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Prince George, BC
reviews: 53
Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

I have been planning to find a place with a kitchen in the Bellingham area and spend a few days combing the lanes and back-road sides picking from the scads of blackberries that line many Whatcom Co roads. . I know it depends on te weather but would love to hear local residents best guess as to peak time for fat ripe blackberries there.

Bellingham...
reviews: 292
1. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

mid to late august depending on how much sun they are getting

Edited: 2:40 pm, July 10, 2013
Paris, France
2. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

We like to pick from bushes that are not close to roads.

Prince George, BC
3. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

Yes, I agree. The roadsides seem to be very prolific though. I would be glad to get some advice on where else to go as i am not from the area ...but I realize great berry-picking spots can be well-kept secrets ;-)

Paris, France
4. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

Just about every city park in the Seattle area has blackberry bushes. Whatcom county is probably the same. You could use google maps satellite view to scout near where you'll be staying. If you don't know what to look for zoom in on some bushes you already know about near your home.

Prince George, BC
5. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

Good advice for which thanks. I'll zoom in on some near Seattle (I recall zounds of them underneath elevated sections of I-5) because, sadly, where I live the Himalayan Blackberry does not grow.

Gig Harbor...
reviews: 9
6. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

Blackberries grow prolifically along nearly every roadside on the Key Peninsula, in case you'd like a quiet country setting for your picking.

Edited: 1:51 pm, July 13, 2013
Washington - the...
reviews: 14
7. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

If you are in Bellingham "proper" follow the mama deer - they usually take their kids to the blackberries - at least in my neighborhood :) Then they, bless their fuzzy tails, come and eat my aronia berries. That is when I know it is peak time to pick them. I'd say another week or so.

Bellingham...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

Blackberries are ripe now, with many unripened ones to extend the berry season. Oddly enough, those by the Fairhaven Green (parking lot & trail) ripened 1st. They're large, delicious and hold their flavor when frozen. It is permissible to pick berries along roadways or on the Interurban trail...great hiking snack!

Bellingham...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

I don't pick along roadsides, however.

10. Re: Blackberry Time in Whatcom County

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 07, 2014