We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
602 posts
17 reviews
How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

Hi- we are flying into Seattle on a Friday in September this year and will be headed to Snowater Resort near Mt. Baker in Glacier, WA. Our flight arrives at 11:10 a.m. Our check in to Snowater is not until later in the afternoon. I've read that the Chuckanut drive is very scenic and wonder how much time we would have to add to our drive from the airport to the resort to do this drive? Is it worth the detour and are there any other good short stops on our way?

Thanks for any input.

Sue

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
602 posts
17 reviews
21. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

Thanks a lot. I especially like the hiking recommendations. There are so many great sounding hikes there that it's hard to know which are the best.

Sue

1 post
2 reviews
22. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

Late drop in to your conversation. Just hike near where u r staying. Will blow your mind. Don't worry about altitude, 5400 feet at parking lot. Hike details at visitor station in Glacier. Heliotrope Ridge. Skyline Divide. Ptarmigan Ridge. Take a day trip to Victoria on foot ferry out of Bellingham(passports) thru SJ islands. Maybe see orca whales. Salmon might be running in river near Glacier. Can't rent kayaks at boat rental in Fairhaven w/o their open water rescue certification. Have an adventure!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
18,013 posts
54 reviews
23. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

If you bring your passports, Glacier is very close to the Abbotsford-Sumas border crossing and some great Fraser Valley hiking around Harrison Lake and the Harrison River, and the Cultus and Chilliwack Lake area.

hellobc.com/british-columbia/…

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
602 posts
17 reviews
24. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

Wow. More and more great ideas. We aren't going until September so you definitely aren't late giving me advice. Thanks so much. So I am getting the impression that leaving the area around glacier to do a day trip to north cascades to do a hike might be an unnecessary road trip because of the similarly spectacular hiking where we are staying. I really hope I can manage a few trips out to Washington. The more research I do the more I wish we had a month.

Thanks again, sue

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
18,013 posts
54 reviews
25. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

Ok, just taking a closer look at that Hello BC hiking site, and it seems to promote a lot of outdoor adventure companies and has little info about trails and hiking spots. The BC Parks website would be better, and then Club Tread is great, but doesn't have maps, so you need to have some idea of where you are going. If you want some specific advice about hiking in the Fraser Valley, let me know and I'll try to find some more specific info, but these two should get you started.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

http://www.clubtread.com/'

I have lived in this area most of my life and have a pretty long list of places I still haven't been, even to places that are accessible for daytrips. Let alone weekend or holiday trips in the PNW. No end of wonderful places to explore!

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
14 reviews
26. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

Ain't it the truth, Vancouverite? One lifetime is not enough to really get to know the Pacific Northwest.

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
602 posts
17 reviews
27. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

Well, I am surely learning that! Can you give me an idea of how much of a drive it is to get to the Fraser Valley area for hiking. I started to look at the hiking info and there is so much to do. Would this work as a day trip from Glacier to get a taste of the area or should I save it for a trip when I could spend more time? So far the only hiking we've done in BC is at Yoho 6 years ago when we went to the Banff/Jasper area. So far that was the best hiking trip we've ever done. Of course, it helped that we had two weeks.

We are still open to changing our day trips but we are pretty much committed to being in Glacier for our lodging for this trip.

Thanks, sue

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
11 reviews
28. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

I'd really hesitate to get in your car in Glacier and drive away from the area to hike. You are within a few miles of some of the most scenic hiking in North America, and you will not come close to running out of options in a week's time. Plus, September is usually the best month to hike since you are generally within the small window of time between the snows from the prior winter and the snows from the upcoming winter.

I told you earlier in this thread how I have a picture in my dining room of Mt. Baker taken from Skyline Divide. While I can't show you the actual picture, this is what it looks like: wunderground.com/wximage/…

When you hike out there, that is what you will be looking at, not to mention Mt. Shuksan, the coastal range in BC, Puget Sound and countless other stunning visuals. It is simply amazing.

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
602 posts
17 reviews
29. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

Thanks for the input Adamtraveler. I have a couple of great hiking guide books and the more I read, the more I feel that you are right! I would much rather be on a trail than in my car if the hiking is that awesome.

Se

30. Re: How much time for chuckanut scenic drive on our way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 31, 2014