We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Saint Louis...
reviews: 71
Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

Never been to the northwest. However, we are flying into Bellingham, driving to Vancouver for 3 nights, then over to Victoria for 3 nights and taking the ferry back before we fly out the next morning. I have a couple questions:

1. Is it better to take the BC ferry from Sidney to Vancouver or the Washington Ferry from Sidney to Anacortes?

2. I understand Anacortes has a refinery. Is is better to spend a night in Anacortes, Bellingham or another place if our flight is going out at 10:30am?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
1. Re: Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

if your driving then take the BC Ferry over as its a nicer boat and they have more frequent departures. You will need to cross the border and in summer that can take a while. I don't know the schedule coming from Sidney but doing both ferries would give you a great scenic ferry ride. The Bc ferry is rated by conde nast as being the 4th most scenic in the world and the WSF is rated #5. Anacortes is actually a pretty cute town so would make a good overnite. From there its a short drive over hwy 20 to Deception Pass so if you get in early there are things close by as well as the town of LaConner. Sounds like a good plan.

Seattle, Wa
reviews: 20
2. Re: Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

I personally would take the boat to Anacortes to avoid spending ages in line in your car at the border. You can make a reservation for this ride, which is nice. Also if you are taking BC ferries to Victoria/Sideny, why not take the WA State Ferry back, so you get to see different scenery?

Anacortes is a perfectly pleasant town and I also like the suggestion of La Conner, if you want something smaller and more quaint.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
3. Re: Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

The refinery is a ways outside of town and Anacortes is kind of pleasant. If I understand you are flying out the morning you leave Anacortes, get a very early start!

Bellingham, WA
reviews: 60
4. Re: Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

If your ferry to Anacortes does not arrive too late, you can just drive up to Bellingham to spend the night as not have to get up very early the next morning. Fairhaven, the historic area, has two nice lodgings: the Village Inn (http://www.fairhavenvillageinn.com/) or the Chrysalis (http://www.thechrysalisinn.com/). That part of town had wonderful shops and cafes.

Lake Saint Louis...
5. Re: Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

Thanks for everyone's input. It was very helpful in making our plans. So much to do, so little time.

Bellingham, wa
6. Re: Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

One additional thought: If you've opted to stay your last night in Anacortes, you'll want to factor in extra time to get to Bellingham for your flight because of the closure of the I 5 bridge in Burlington (the one that fell into the river last week). Reports are that it can take up to an extra 30-40 minutes. I would second the option of staying in Fairhaven. Good restaurants and the prices at the Village Inn are reasonable. From Fairhaven to the airport is 20 minutes, max. Enjoy our neck of the woods! No place better in the summer:)

Lake Saint Louis...
7. Re: Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

I hadn't thought of that. That's right. Thanks for the update and we will stay in Bellingham for sure.

Edited: 1:06 pm, May 31, 2013
Bellingham...
reviews: 272
8. Re: Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

the BC ferry for sure

9. Re: Bellingham or Anacortes or ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 03, 2014