We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
memphis, tn
reviews: 27
Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

Can I take a ferry from Friday Harbor to Bellingham? Which line would I look at to get to Bellingham from Friday Harbor with a car? Is Bellingham a good place to go if we have one extra night before needing to be in Seattle? Can you drive from Bellingham to Seattle or will I need to take a ferry from Bellingham to Seattle? I seem lost.

Bellingham, WA
reviews: 60
1. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

San Juan Cruises (http://www.whales.com/) runs from Bellingham to Friday Harbor but only from May through September. This is a walk-on boat so you would be on foot once you reach Friday Harbor. San Juan Island does have a small transit system and their are taxis and car rentals available there.

Otherwise you need to catch a Washington State Ferry from Anacortes (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/) which can accommodate cars as well as walk ons. The Anacortes ferry dock is about an hour and a half drive from Bellingham (just drove it last week).

Bellingham to Seattle can only be done by car, train, or bus--no ferry running that route.

Happy to help with other questions. Don't want anyone lost.

memphis, tn
2. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

that was super helpful. I think we will go to Orcas Island for 3 nights. Then go to Friday Harbor for 2 or 3 nights. Then go back to Anacortes and drive to Bellingham. Is Bellingham a stop for 1 or 2 or 3 nights?

We are going to want to be photographing from sunrise to sunset. Where would be a good sunrise location? Anywhere especially known for beautiful sunrises or sunsets? Still trying to figure out how far Mt. Baker is if anyone can help me figure that out. Looked on Mapquest. I think I read about an hour. Is it safe and driveable in mid October to go there in the car? We won't be distance hiking... just little short walks for photo opportunities.

Bellingham, WA
reviews: 60
3. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

Re: Mt. Baker--see my reply to your Chrysallis Inn query.

Sunset over the bay can be nice if we get some particulates in the air and just the right clouds. Sunrise is a bit tougher. We've had some nice ones lately because of the smoke drifting over from the forest fires. Also in fall we start getting fog in the mornings. On ferry from San Juan last week we had over an hour delay in sailing because of heavy fog between some of the islands.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 44
4. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

Are you aware of Deception Pass State Park and it's bridge between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands? Get your camera out! It's a lovely park (look on its website and map, lovely bays on the north end, walk the bridge, etc.).

Continue south on Whidbey Island, stop in the little villages of Coupeville and, if time for just one, Langley, visit Ft. Casey State Park for itself and the "wow" views.

Whidbey Island WI is a great day or more getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; this TA article includes key websites, tours, maps. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

On Whidbey Island, an easy hike, Ebey’s Landing State Park Dramatic, easy, trail, farmland to the east, Puget Sound and the Olympics to the west. http://tinyurl.com/3c8zrnc

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
reviews: 7
5. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

I'm with a group of friends for the last few days here at Mt baker. We came over from SJ island where we all live and we took the 8 am ferry from FH and even after stopping for lots of groceries we got to out rental house near Mt baker not long after 11 am so that shows you how close this area is to Anacortes.

memphis, tn
6. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

All helpful. We went to Whidbey Island for a few days on our last trip to the area. We loved it but want a new experience. We have been to Salt Spring, Whidbey, lots of Vancouver Island, Galliano Island, Tofino, and some other stops but never been to San Juan Islands... so this is all new territory. I sure wish that Orcas Island ferry wasn't closing the one week we needed to use it. Oh well... just re-routing the trip sorta. Worried the road to Mt. Baker will be closed due to weather. What is the weather like there for you Drifting cloud?

Bellingham...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

The road to Mt. Baker will most certainly be open since it is such a huge ski/snowboard destination. However, if you are referring to Artist Point, then you might be out of luck.

Just FYI: the sunset over the San Juans last night was one of the most magical I have ever seen.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
8. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

The drive up to Mount Baker is lovely, even in winter (not in the middle of a winter storm!) Its just beautiful around there; South Pass road has always been one of my dad's favourite cycling roads. The communities are small and rural.

Google street view can be a great way to take a look at a road and see what you are getting into. There are also often videos on You Tube as there is a big fad of motorcyclists putting on head cams and just doing a video of their drives, so its not unusual to find just about any road you want to drive and view it that way.

Seattle, Wa
reviews: 20
9. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

The road to Artist's Point goes for 3 miles beyond the ski area, and that's where you really want to be--that's where the spectacular 360-degree views are. That section is closed after the first "substantial snowfall", usually in October. Keep an eye on the WSDOT website if you are planning on going up then. When that part is closed, you can still drive to the ski area; it's very pretty but you don't get the same views.

www.wsdot.wa.gov/Northwest/Baker/ArtistPoint/

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
reviews: 7
10. Re: Friday Harbor to Bellingham via a ferry

"What is the weather like there for you Drifting cloud?"

We were there the past 4 days and the weather was very good to great all but Saturday which was very foggy especially the higher in elevation one went. We hiked on 4 trails sometimes not seeing a soul for hours and other times feeling like we were walking in a downtown Seattle park with hordes of people on Sunday all around the Artist Point area (the weather was ideal that day and the parking lot was way beyond overflowing with many cars parked along the road leading to the large lot.) The views are spectacular and even the fog was memorable .

Edited: 3:33 pm, October 01, 2012