We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kirkland, Washington
Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island

I have a friend visiting from Nashville, TN, and we're driving from Kirkland to Bellingham. Is there a route we can take which would allow us to hop to Whidbey, cross Deception Pass, to Chuckanut Drive and on to Bellingham? I read something about a scenic byway, Hwy 525? Any help is much appreciated!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 4
1. Re: Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island

…wa.gov/ferries/…

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
2. Re: Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island

I think Hwy 525 is Smuggler's that leads to Deception Pass. We do this drive as an either / or type of deal, so someone else can help on the hopping over to do one then the other. We do Chuckanut a lot in the summer - if you time a meal stop for Rhodedenron Cafe I think you will like it. You can check out the menu online.

This might also help - it is the website for scenic routes in Washington:

experiencewa.com/experience-washington/sceni…

Kirkland, Washington
3. Re: Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island

I may be trying to do too much in not enough time (happens quite a bit!), so will check out that website, and see what I can figure out--thanks!

Seattle, Wa
reviews: 30
4. Re: Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island

You described the route yourself--you can drive up Whidbey (the ferry is from Mukilteo), cross D-Pass, and then go up Chuckanut Drive to B'ham. It's obvious when you look at a map. Note that the drive up Whidbey is all on the interior and isn't that scenic--you need to detour to the water (Coupeville, Langley, Ebey's Landing) to get nice views.

Kirkland, Washington
5. Re: Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island

Ha! Thank you--I have lived here almost 8 years, and am pretty familiar with the city and surrounding burgs, but once outside of my "pond", I get a little disoriented (I know nothing at all of eastern WA beyond Ellensburg).

Thanks for the reassurance!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
6. Re: Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island

It would be a long day, but doable. The ferry across to the southern end of Whitby Island is just past the Boeing Factory at Everett and is signposted off the I-5. You should note that the fare to get ON the island is substantially higher than the fare to get OFF the island, so I think its cheaper to do this in reverse.

Most of the road up Whitby Island doesn't go along the coast, so you'll need to plan stops in order to see the scenic highlights. There are several state parks - Fort Eby, Fort Casey and Deception Pass, along with others I haven't been to - which are well worth a stop, so you'll have to pace yourselves and figure out how much time you have. The walk under the bridge at Deception Pass is probably the most spectacular, but you need a fair bit of time to do it (as I recall). I loved the beach at Fort Eby as well.

The Chuckanut is a lovely scenic drive, but quite short. I'm not sure how well signposted it is, but you actually get to it from Highway 20 (via Bay View and Edison) rather than going out to the I-5 and back again.

7. Re: Seattle to Bellingham via Whidbey Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 21, 2013