We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in area with elderly mom...?

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 19
What to do in area with elderly mom...?

My mom loves gardens, beautiful scenery and the NW but walks very slowly and shorter to moderate distances....she doesn't need or use a chair however. We;ll be in Bellingham for my daughter's 3 day soccer tournament and want ideas for 2-4 hr "side trips" nearby? Also, not a shopper--not at all. So galleries and that sort of thing are out. tWe're staying in the city center.thank you!

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
1. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

What time of year are you going to be here (sorry, I don't know when soccer season is)?

Big Rock Garden would be a nice place - large variety of maples and wonderful statues tucked in here and there - there are place to sit and rest too.

You can pick up a map at Viking Union and do the sculpture tour on campus at WWU. This would be a longer walk with less places to sit.

You could pick up a cheese picnic at the cheese shop in Fairhaven and drive down to Boulevard or Marine park - very easy (flat) walks - and watch the water and boats.

If it is raining and your Mom like movies the Pickford is great - bonus if the movie is showing in theatre one you can take wine in with you.

If you are here "in season" there is also a nice selection of boat tours - but I don't know if their schedule would work with the soccer game schedule.

You could drive up to White Rock for lunch (or dinner) we do that a lot in the summer. (don't forget that if you are taking your daughter that you technically need a signed note from the other parent if you aren't the sole guardian - if that is the case then you need that paperwork - they usually don't ask for it, but better safe than sorry).

Seattle
reviews: 19
2. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

White Rock sounds lovely. This is all happening soon, in August. Because it's "high season", all told, how long would a lunch or dinner round-trip take since you have to cross the border? thanks for the border tip (vis a vis our daughter) though it would probably be just be me and my mom, if not, everyone including husband.

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
3. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

Crossing the border depends on day and time - usually Wednesdays work out for the shortest delays. We usually block out a few hours for the trip (maybe figure an hour / hour and a half to get there and depending on how you time it coming back another hour / hour and a half to get back). Sorry, since we usually meander up there I don't really pay attention to the travel time.

Bellingham...
reviews: 65
4. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

On Thursday evenings the Whatcom Museum offers history cruises around Bellingham Bay: whatcommuseum.org/events/…-

and San Juan Cruises offers some other evening cruises: http://www.whales.com/.

Bellingham...
reviews: 341
5. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

you could go hang out at Boulevard Park or Marine Park

6. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 05, 2013