We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 day trip from Seattle

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 39
3-4 day trip from Seattle

A co-worker recommended Bellingham as a great place to go with my dad. Pretty & moderate hikes, whale watch boat tours, veggie friendly restaurants, etc. Please share any input on: what there is to do inside (very rainy in early summer), interesting B&Bs, and vegetarian restaurants. Oh, and I just found Lummi Island in a search -- is that a fun day trip from Bellingham?

If it helps, my dad likes history, cars, science, antique stores...

Thanks!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
1. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

History, cars, science and antique stores are better found in Seattle. There is a great flight museum there, too. Lummi Island is best known for its visionary restaurant. The chef was associated with Noma in Copenhagen. However, if you don't eat fish, or if you are not interested in an intensely locavore, unusual, and expensive style of cooking, that might limit your interest.

Given your Dad's interests, I don't think Bellingham would be the best choice of excursion.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
reviews: 5
2. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

I kind of agree with Kalebeg, although I think Bellingham is one of Washington's

nicest cities. If I were to move it would be high on my list. It has a nice feel to it. It really comes down to how much in the way of cultural things do you need to fill your dad's time. Do you want a small city experience or large. The Whatcom County Museum is a terrific museum. They have expanded in the last few years. You would not be that far from Vancouver, Anacortes and the North cCascades Hwy if you wanted to do some long day excursions. I personally love Bellingham.

Seattle, Washington
3. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

Sounds like there are no votes for the Spark Museum of Electrical Invention? ;-)

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g58350-d31…

I only listed his indoor interests because that's my biggest unknown about things to do. I think Bellingham would be great for outdoor activities he likes (parks, hikes, kayaking, whale watching, farmers market, etc.).

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
4. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

He will love Bellingham!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 35
5. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

You see, this is what I love about TA. I just popped into this thread and, after reading it, thought "wow, clearly I have not spent enough time exploring Bellingham" We go down that way all the time, and I couldn't think of a single activity to recommend. I have some work to do! :>

Washington - the...
reviews: 15
6. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

I haven't been to the "new" Sparks museum, but I've heard it is great. You can spend a whole day or more in Fairhaven easily - there are two nice parks, great bookstores (Village and Eclipse), a nice wine store that has tastings (Purple Smile). In the summer there are two tours - a Sin and Gin one that focuses on downtown and a ghost tour in Fairhaven.

The marina is usually a nice place to wander in the summer, but there was just a tragedy there so I haven't gone down there lately.

Whatcom Falls park is a nice meander type of place to hike. Big Rock Garden is a little hard to find, but also a nice place to spend a few hours in the heat of the day.

Lummi isn't that fun as a day trip (in my opinion) - we usually zip up to Baker for a day trip instead.

There are a few whale watching tours - I recommend the one that has the salmon dinner on the way back or the sunset tours (but that runs on Wed. I think).

I don't know much about the B&B situation - there is one within walking distance of Fairhaven that always seems full. The one on Garden street I've heard is nice but parking is a bear in that area.

Most restaurants have veggie options - what kind of food does your Dad like?

We lost a lot of our antique stores a few years ago - there are a few left and those are good, but it isn't like it used to be.

As for cars, there seems to be a car show somewhere in town almost every weekend in the summer - if you check the Take 5 (in the Thurs. Bellingham Herald) it will list the weekends that have one and where.

If your Dad likes movies and it is raining out - the Pickford is really nice and if you pick a movie playing in theatre 1 you can take beer or wine into the movie.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
7. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

Vancouver for me it is just about the feel of the town, not so much about activities. Small atractive college town with a nice waterfront and a small art scene. Washington lacks very many truly atractive towns or small cities. I think Bellinham fits the bill! I personaly would label it a very liveable city. I have never met anyone that has lived there, that did not enjoy there time there.

Seattle, Washington
8. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

Lummi caught my attention because of a mention of the short, frequent ferry and the Saturday farmers market.

Washington - the...
reviews: 15
9. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

The downtown farmers market is also on Saturday and is the biggest one.

Lummi would be great if you happen to be here the same weekend as the lavender festival (it is in July).

Seattle, Washington
10. Re: 3-4 day trip from Seattle

Thanks for all the advice! I hope this forum picks up a bit -- you have much more to share than parking tips!

My dad has voted for either Vancouver with a stop in Bellingham or to help with tsunami debris cleanup on the Washington coast. I'm leaning towards the first since I think a July 5th beach cleanup will be more about messy July 4th celebrations than tsunami debris.

The nice thing about a stop in Bellingham on the way to Vancouver is that I won't miss July 4th in the U.S. I love fireworks :-)