We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bellingham to Winthrop to Leavenworth - Must see stops?

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Home
reviews: 9
Bellingham to Winthrop to Leavenworth - Must see stops?

My husband and I will be traveling from Bellingham to Winthrop and then on to Leavenworth. It looks like we should be following Route 20 to Winthrop. Is there any way to also tie in the Mount Baker Scenic Highway, or is this going to really take us out of the way?

Are there spots along this loop that would be places we shouldn't miss? I do have Cascade Loop tour book...we enjoy scenic drives, easy to moderate hiking , and good food and wine.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
1. Re: Bellingham to Winthrop to Leavenworth - Must see stops?

It is doable to go up Mt. Baker hwy, then back down to Deming to the (I think 547) that will take you to hwy 20 that will take you to Wintrop. It would be a long day with not much time to goof around, take hikes, eat at the pizza/brewery place (very much worth a stop). For example, typically we do the loop from Bellingham to Mt. Baker as a lazy day trip (if we don't hike much) and we are home long before sunset.

Are you using a car on this route? If you are on motorcycles (a very popular choice for these routes) make sure you top up your tank every chance you get the gas stations on hwy 20 are a little sparce the closer you get to Wintrop. I do remember some well signed scenic turn offs which would be a nice place for a picnic.

I don't know much about the route choices from Winthrop to Leavenworth since those are either/or choices for us.

Houston
reviews: 12
2. Re: Bellingham to Winthrop to Leavenworth - Must see stops?

I was trying the same trip except for Mt. Baker, but cannot find any lodging available on the Winthrop side for my dates. If you need lodging, better check it out. I just posted about doing round trip in North Cascades out of Burlington area so I have time to see some of the park.

3. Re: Bellingham to Winthrop to Leavenworth - Must see stops?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 pm, June 22, 2013