We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling by car vancouver to seattle

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NewJerseyUSA
reviews: 6
traveling by car vancouver to seattle

My husband and I are planning a cruise to alaska late august out of Seattle. Flying into Vancouver 1 week prior to the cruise to explore Vancouver pickup a car and drive to Seattle. Need advice/information as to the few best places to stay 1 night or two between Vancouver and Seattle (staying in Seattle 2 nights before cruise). Thinking of either Sooke, BC - but Ferry from Victoria looks like a hassel? or is there somewhere else recommended that we can drive w/o ferry and stop a night or two for water views/quiet respit without too much of a hassle to get there. Thanks for any advice! Please recommend hotels as well if you can. Thank you..

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
1. Re: traveling by car vancouver to seattle

I have not taken the BC Ferries in a long time, but keep in mind you can make reservations. If you choose Sooke as a destination, you are taking two Canadian ferries, one private ferry line and in all likelihood one Washington state Ferry to get to Seattle. August is the busiest time of year for the ferries. You may want to consider Whidbey Island on your way from Vancouver to Seattle. Nice place to spend a couple of relaxing days. The town of Langley is one of our more scenic small towns.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
2. Re: traveling by car vancouver to seattle

I was going to suggest the same. The drop fees from renting a car in Vanc and dropping in Seattle will be substantial. You may wish to rethink that part of your trip. If you wanted to rent a car once across the border (Bellingham for ex via amtrak) then drive thru Anacortes and either take a ferry to San Juan Island or continue on hwy 20 to Whidbey. Huge island to explore then onto Seattle.

Its worth considering. Please read on top right trips to Vanc and Victoria. Most people seriously misunderestimate the cost of car rental in Canada and parking fees and also the potential for substantial border delays.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 15
3. Re: traveling by car vancouver to seattle

Sooke is pretty lovely. I have stayed at the Sooke Harbour House and it is outstanding. If that is what you are thinking, and your style and price point, I highly recommend. It is about 30km outside of Victoria. We rented a car once we got to Victoria.

So, as an option, you may want to consider renting your car for less time in Vancouver, or renting it only when you need it. (Vancouver has good public transit). Then, consider taking the BC ferry from Vancouver to Victoria or fly via seaplane from Vancouver Harbor to Victoria Harbor on Harbor Air. Rent a car in Victoria. To get to Seattle, then you can take the Victoria Clipper or, again, fly via seaplane and Kenmore Air, right from Victoria Harbor to downtown Seattle (Lake Union). It sounds complicated, but not that difficult really, and less hassle than taking a vehicle on the ferry and across borders.

Let us know what you are thinking.

Bellingham, WA
reviews: 60
4. Re: traveling by car vancouver to seattle

Another "car-less option" is to take the Quick Shuttle bus (http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm) from the Vancouver airport or downtown Vancouver to the Bellingham airport. From Bellingham you can get a passenger only boat trip to San Juan Island from http://www.whales.com/ and stay overnight in Friday Harbour. The Bellingham train station is next to the ferry dock and you can then continue on to Seattle by train.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 12
5. Re: traveling by car vancouver to seattle

If you haven't already booked your flights, you could consider flying to/from Seattle rather than Vancouver. It is usually cheaper.

NewJerseyUSA
6. Re: traveling by car vancouver to seattle

Thank you for your suggestion. We are looking into your advice. I'll be sure to reply after we have returned!

NewJerseyUSA
7. Re: traveling by car vancouver to seattle

thank you for your information. I think Quick Shuttle is the way to go. We will then go to bellingham airport to pick up a car - to drive to seattle.

8. Re: traveling by car vancouver to seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, May 19, 2013