We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 11
Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

We will be arriving (and departing) in Bellingham on Amtrak for 3 days.

Which hotel would be more centrally located for eating and shopping?

I have read the reviews, and do see that the Best Western is closer to the Amtrak station, but the Comfort Inn has better reviews. We aren't sure if we will be renting a car.

Thank you.

Bellingham...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

The comfort inn is in the retail/mall sector of bellingham, whereas the best western is located nearer to downtown - so I guess it depends on what is more important to you. If you are into shopping - stay at the comfort inn. If you want to be more centrally located - stay at the best western. Does that help?

Bellingham...
2. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

Oh, and if you are not renting a car - you would be ok in either location (as long as you can get to your hotel). The mall and a bunch of strip malls are within walking distance of the comfort inn. If you stay at the best western, you can walk to downtown - or there is a couple of bus routes that will take you downtown within 5 minutes. You can check out the bus schedules at www.ridewta.com

3. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

Thank you so much .... I think we will stay at the Best Western ... we do want to walk around Bellingham, so the ability to walk around downtown would be better for us ... than the ability to shop.

I did read that the BW has a restaurant, but do you know if there are other restaurants nearby?

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
4. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

If you are staying at the Lakeway you may want to take a walking tour of the sculptures on Western's campus.

The BW has two restaurants. The food at Poppe's is good, a little pricey, but good. The Oboe Cafe is also a little pricey, but I've always gotten a good meal there too.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area - what kind of food do you like and what type of dining experience do you want?

Bellingham...
5. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

Within a block (or so) of the hotel, there are definitely a few restaurants (albeit nothing to write home about). There is teriyaki, pizza, mexican, subway, and a drive-thru coffee stand. If you walk (or take the bus) to downtown - there are lots of good options:

- la fiamma (great pizza)

- boundary bay (if you are into brew pubs)

- taco lobo (Mexican)

- bayou on bay (Cajun)

- stone pot (Korean)

- fiamma burger (try the bison burger)

- poor Siamese (Thai)

Those are just a few. There is also Greek, Indian and others.

Bellingham...
6. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

Oh, and if you are here on a weekend, you could try the farmers market. We have a food one.

Washington - the...
7. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

Rhodes Cafe is only about a block away in the Lakeway Center - open for breakfast and lunch. I'm a fan esp. if you get the Greek omlette.

Sol de Mexico is about another block further - the food is fine, the service is always good.

If you take the bus to Fairhaven - that is worth a better part of a day to wander (depending on weather). If you go to that part of town, I'd suggest:

Skylarks (breakfast, lunch, dinner). The cafe upstairs at Village Books sells wine now (yea!). Archer's Ale House has a great selection of beers and the shepard's pie is to die for. For dinner I like Mambo's (Italian and pizza) but if you are hard of hearing it is difficult to have a conversation there. Then you can pop upstairs for a cocktail at the Black Cat (Chat Noir) and look out the window to the bay.

8. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

Thank you for all of the great ideas ... I've copied them all to my notes.

We'll just have finished a cruise to Vancouver ... so fine dining is NOT a must! The ability to try different types is great!

A friend is thinking of eventually retiring to Bellingham, so we thought we would stop for a few days and look around, and then continue on to Seattle for a few days.

Great idea of wandering through the gardens on Westerns campus!

We love Farmers Markets ... but we arrive very late on Sunday and leave early on Wednesday ... and I believe the one I read about is on Friday ... would be great if there were others, though!!

Washington - the...
9. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

We get a lot of people retiring here (for good reason). Because of that though, you may want to tell your friend to start contacting doctors pronto before moving here - many of them aren't taking new MC patients.

You'll miss the markets unfortunately - the Fairhaven one is on Wed. the one downtown is on the weekend, but the Barvarian pretzel place in the building is open during the week and I highly recommend a ham and swiss pretzel bread sandwich!

If you are downtown for lunch or dinner I highly recommend the Shrimp Shack.

10. Re: Best Western Lakeway or Comfort Inn?

PacificNWAuntiem ... what great information!! They won't be retiring for a few years ... but great info!!

I was able to get the Best Western Lakeway Inn for $70 a night on Priceline this evening. Our original reservation at this same hotel was $110 a night, with our AAA discount!

.... gotta love Priceline!

Thank you, again!!

Edited: 2:17 am, January 25, 2012