We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
reviews: 1
Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

Hi,

Does anyone know what options there are for travelling from Bellingham airport to Fairhaven to catch the Alaska ferry?

I have found heaps of cheap buses, shuttles and trains to travel there from Vancouver and Seattle airports, but I can't find information about how to get there from Bellingham airport.

I have a rental car booked with Hertz one way from Seattle to Bellingham. The web site says one way rentals must be dropped at airport locations only, hence I'm trying to figure out how to get from Bellingham airport to the ferry terminal.

I assume taxis are expensive (probably as much as bus fares from Seattle!). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Bellingham, WA
reviews: 59
1. Re: Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

Unfortunately there is no public bus service to our airport so taxi is about it. The fare should be just under $20 as it's freeway a lot of the way; I'd say about a15+ minute drive as long as you don't hit a train crossing (the crossing is just before the ferry terminal).

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
2. Re: Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

as you found out you can take amtrak direct from seattle to fairhaven so perhaps that would be easier. Did you call Hertz to see if they might shuttle you back? Or even see if there is a downtown bellingham Hertz office?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
3. Re: Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

it took me 2 seconds to find Hertz offices much closer to where you want to go. Suggest you phone them directly

1840 North State Street

Bellingham

(360) 527-1999

Hertz Rent A Car

www.hertz.com

Place page

4255 Mitchell Way # 8

Bellingham

(360) 733-8336

Edited: 6:06 pm, January 13, 2012
Washington - the...
reviews: 14
4. Re: Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

Don't mess with a rental car*. The Airporter drops off at the Bellingham cruise terminal on cruise days during the ferry season. When is your flight coming in and do you have a room booked on the ferry? If you don't have a room booked and you are counting on bunking on the deck you may want to change your travel arrangements so you come in a day earlier. People line up early to race for a good spot on the deck. If you do come in a day early, the Airporter drops of at Lakeway and there are two handy hotels (both decent) to overnight and you can take a cab to Fairhaven in the morning. The Airporter always drops off at the Lakeway stop and that is a much cheaper (about half the price) cab ride to Fairhaven from there.

The cab fare from Lakeway to Fairhaven is about $15 bucks tops (with tip) and the bus runs regularly and that (with transfer) would cost about $2.

Do not mess with the Amtrak option. If you are just coming to town to visit it is fine, but cost and stress wise it is so not worth it for a ferry connection.

*this depends on how many people are involved - more than two and the rental car option would be cheaper. Also try Enterprise for the car rental - they usually have cheaper rates for one way drop offs.

Canberra, Australia
5. Re: Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

Thanks, very helpful - really appreciate your response! :)

Canberra, Australia
6. Re: Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies - very helpful.

I guess this explains why I couldn't find any information about shuttles from Bellingham airport if taxi's the only option. It was surprising that it's easier to find out how to get to the AMHS terminal from Seattle airport than from Bellingham airport.

I tried Enterprise at your suggestion but they don't allow one way rentals from Seattle to be dropped at Bellingham. Hertz only allows one way rentals to be dropped at airport locations, hence I can't drop at a city location.

The reason I want a one way rental is we'll be flying into Seattle and exploring Washington state for about a week and finishing around Mt Baker. It seems silly to drive all the way down to Seattle just to catch a bus back up again straight away.

And yes, we do have a cabin booked on the ferry - got in early as soon as bookings opened in October so was lucky to be able to get one.

Sounds like taxi from Bellingham airport will be the best option.

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated! :)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
7. Re: Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

why not call one of the local Hertz #'s in Bham and talk to a local vs the 800#. You may get a different answer

8. Re: Transport from Bellingham airport to sea port (AMHS/Amtrak)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, February 09, 2013