We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December trip

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
phoenix
reviews: 6
December trip

Planning my first visit to Bellingham in late December with my 21 year old daughter.. Am I nuts? WIll the weather be very dreadful? Does the ferry schedule remain the same in the winter?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
1. Re: December trip

Bellingham often gets more severe weather than Western Washington as its north of the Olympics so it gets more wind and ice storms. December weather in general is always a gamble. Some yrs we've had snow and others have been rather mild. I'm not sure what ferry schedule your referring to. There are some small passenger only ferrys that go to Bellingham but no major ferry terminal other than the Alaska ferry.

Bellingham, WA
reviews: 61
2. Re: December trip

For an idea on weather in Bellingham, it's best to look at Vancouver, Canada forecasts as our weather is usually closer to their's than Seattle's. Also we can sometimes get a rain shadow effect from the Olympics--so it can be pouring in Seattle and we are dry here. This winter is forecast to be another La Nina year--wetter and colder than normal. We do occasionally get snow, although rarely heavy; usually it's just cold, gray and wet.

As for the ferry--the Alaska ferry runs from here all year but in winter it's down to once a week departing on Fridays at 6 pm in December. In the summer months there is a small foot ferry to San Juan Island. The Washington State ferries to the islands depart from Anacortes about 40 miles south of here and the British Columbia ferries depart from Tsawwassen about 35 miles north.

Let me know if you need any more Bellingham info. Happy to help.

Washington - the...
reviews: 14
3. Re: December trip

I agree with comcox about the weather - I would add that it may be icy too. It will also seem much colder than it actually is - it is a "wet cold" and the wind can kick up and add to the bone chill factor. Since we don't have plows occasionally the town kind of shuts down if it snows too much / gets to icy.

All that said, I think Bellingham is lovely when it snows. And the shops and restaurants are festive and decked out in December.

phoenix
reviews: 6
4. Re: December trip

Thanks so much for all your input. I appreciate it!

5. Re: December trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 30, 2012